Updated at 12:15 p.m. EST, Feb. 2, 2008
Bombers in Baghdad ratcheted up the violence on this prayer day by attacking multiple pet markets. Overall at least 110 Iraqis were killed and 215 more were wounded across Iraq. No Coalition troops were reported killed.
In Baghdad, apparently coordinated attacks on two pet markets left scores dead and authorities wondering if al-Qaeda has changed it tactics. Both attacks were perpetrated by female suicide bombers. The larger bombing occurred at the al-Ghazl pet market, where at least 69 people were killed and over 140 were injured. The market is a favorite with both customers, who pack it every Friday, and with bombers, who have attacked al-Ghazl several times.
The second bombing occurred twenty minutes later in Baghdad al-Jadida (New Baghdad). As many as 29 people were killed there and another 67 were injured there. Questions have arisen as to whether the women mentally challenged, and mobile phones, suggesting the women’s vests were remotely detonated, were discovered.Three unidentified bodies were found in Baghdad.
At a Kut bus terminal, gunmen killed two policemen and wounded four civilians.
Details are sketchy, but a roadside bomb targeting a U.S. patrol in Hilla left a unknown number of casualties.
In Karbala, two gangs were arrested.
Compiled by Margaret Griffis
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- ISIS Commander Blamed for Iran Attack among 18 Killed in Iraq – October 16th, 2018
- 51 Bodies in ISIS Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – October 15th, 2018
- Sadr Colleague Among Seven Killed; 30 Found in Iraq Mass Grave – October 14th, 2018
- Mass Grave Gives up 78 Victims; 11 Recently Killed in Iraq – October 13th, 2018
- 30 Bodies in Mass Grave near Mosul; Two Killed in Iraq – October 11th, 2018