The number of people sickened by polluted water in Basra has reached 102,000 according to Mahdi al-Tamimi, he UN High Commissioner for Human Rights in Basra. In the last few days, 3,000 were sickened including the EU Ambassador to Iraq, Ramon Blecua. Protests in Basra province first broke out in July, but little to nothing has been done to provide residents with fresh water.
At least four were killed, and two were wounded in recent violence:
A barber was shot dead in Balad Ruz.
In Daquq, two separate bombs wounded two civilians.
Turkish airstrikes killed three members of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (P.K.K.) in Zab.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Baghdad Deploys More Troops to Kirkuk; 13 Killed in Iraq – October 22nd, 2018
- Random Attacks Rattle North; 23 Killed in Iraq – October 21st, 2018
- Nine Militants Killed During Security Operations in Iraq – October 20th, 2018
- Anti-ISIS Imam Among 11 Killed in Iraq – October 19th, 2018
- Over 2,200 Bodies Exhumed in Mosul Region; Four Killed in Iraq – October 18th, 2018