The number of people sickened by polluted water in Basra has reached 102,000 according to Mahdi al-Tamimi, he UN High Commissioner for Human Rights in Basra. In the last few days, 3,000 were sickened including the EU Ambassador to Iraq, Ramon Blecua. Protests in Basra province first broke out in July, but little to nothing has been done to provide residents with fresh water.
At least four were killed, and two were wounded in recent violence:
A barber was shot dead in Balad Ruz.
In Daquq, two separate bombs wounded two civilians.
Turkish airstrikes killed three members of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (P.K.K.) in Zab.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 26 Shabaks Found in Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – February 22nd, 2019
- Border Guards Among 15 Killed in Iraq – February 21st, 2019
- 47 Bodies Found in Mass Grave; 13 Killed in Iraq – February 20th, 2019
- Truffle Hunters Executed; 17 Killed in Iraq – February 19th, 2019
- Fresh Dangers for Truffle Hunters; 12 Killed in Iraq – February 18th, 2019