The number of people sickened by polluted water in Basra has reached 102,000 according to Mahdi al-Tamimi, he UN High Commissioner for Human Rights in Basra. In the last few days, 3,000 were sickened including the EU Ambassador to Iraq, Ramon Blecua. Protests in Basra province first broke out in July, but little to nothing has been done to provide residents with fresh water.
At least four were killed, and two were wounded in recent violence:
A barber was shot dead in Balad Ruz.
In Daquq, two separate bombs wounded two civilians.
Turkish airstrikes killed three members of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (P.K.K.) in Zab.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- US Soldier Among 25 Killed in Iraq – April 24th, 2019
- Continuing anti-ISIS Operations; Five Killed in Iraq – April 23rd, 2019
- Team Exhuming Mass Grave Fired On; Nine Killed in Iraq – April 22nd, 2019
- U.S. Service Member Among 17 Killed in Iraq – April 20th, 2019
- ISIS Attacks Federal Police; Four Killed in Iraq – April 18th, 2019