The temporary speaker of parliament, Muhammad Ali Zainy, claimed on Sunday that he was subject to an assassination attempt. His car was allegedly blocked while traveling in the Karrada district of Baghdad. He is expected to remain speaker until the new parliment elects their own.
At least 21 people were killed or found in a mass grave:
A mass grave containing 20 bodies belonging to ISIS militants was discovered in Tal Kief.
A civilian was killed in an old landmine blast in Tuz Khormato.
The U.S. Embassy issued a security alert, restricting movement of employees during the month of Muharram, which begins on Tuesday. Extra care is to be taken during Ashura observances that start on September 18. The alert also noted the violence in Basra.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Basra Protests Turn Violent Again; Two Killed in Iraq – January 18th, 2019
- 40 Bodies in ISIS Grave; Seven Killed in Iraq – January 16th, 2019
- Scattered Attacks Leave Four Dead in Iraq – January 15th, 2019
- Children Wounded in Roadside Blast; Two Killed in Iraq – January 13th, 2019
- ISIS Members Poisoned by Relative; Seven Killed in Iraq – January 12th, 2019