The temporary speaker of parliament, Muhammad Ali Zainy, claimed on Sunday that he was subject to an assassination attempt. His car was allegedly blocked while traveling in the Karrada district of Baghdad. He is expected to remain speaker until the new parliment elects their own.
At least 21 people were killed or found in a mass grave:
A mass grave containing 20 bodies belonging to ISIS militants was discovered in Tal Kief.
A civilian was killed in an old landmine blast in Tuz Khormato.
The U.S. Embassy issued a security alert, restricting movement of employees during the month of Muharram, which begins on Tuesday. Extra care is to be taken during Ashura observances that start on September 18. The alert also noted the violence in Basra.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 25 Killed in Turkish Strikes Against PKK in Northern Iraq – November 13th, 2018
- Sunni Militia Officer Among 16 Killed in Iraq – November 12th, 2018
- Air Strikes Continue in North; 29 Killed in Iraq – November 11th, 2018
- Airstrikes in Kurdish Region; 33 Killed in Iraq – November 10th, 2018
- Bomb Blast at Mosul Restaurant; 13 Killed in Iraq – November 8th, 2018