Contaminated water continues to sicken people in Basra. Over 4,000 people have sought medical treatment for symptoms such as diarrhea and vomiting. While some are blaming government corruption, health authorities are pointing fingers at unlicensed water desalination stations. The emergency comes just weeks after massive protests over government negligence and a lack of jobs began in Basra.
At least nine people were killed, and one was wounded in recent violence:
Nine militants were killed in an airstrike on Maidan.
An operation in Saidiya left one militant with injures.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Roadside Bomb Targets Soldiers; 23 Killed in Iraq – April 16th, 2019
- Militia Attacks Police in Mosul; Eight Killed in Iraq – April 14th, 2019
- Security Personnel Clash with ISIS; Seven Killed in Iraq – April 12th, 2019
- Large-scale anti-ISIS operation; 18 Killed in Iraq – April 11th, 2019
- Bomb Targets Tribal Leader and Family; Two Killed in Iraq – April 10th, 2019