Authorities revealed that 36 bodies belonging to Camp Speicher victims were discovered near Tikrit. At least 1,500 air force cadets were executed by Islamic State militants after their camp was overrun in June 2014. Hundreds of bodies have been recovered from various mass graves over the years.
At least 40 people were killed, and eight were wounded in recent violence:
A rocket attack near Ramadi left five security members dead and three wounded. The group was made up of soldiers and tribal fighters.
Security forces in Badush killed 27 militants.
Three militants were killed in Anjana.
Villagers in Baaj killed two militants, one of them a notorious ISIS leader.
Two Filipinas who were kidnapped on Saturday after their vehicle broke down on a highway linking Baghdad and Erbil were released a day later. A man is in custody.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Protests Enter Second Week; 14 Killed, 366 Wounded in Iraq – July 15th, 2018
- Two Killed, 33 Injured in Continuing Protests in Southern Iraq – July 14th, 2018
- Protests Spread Through Southern Provinces; 7 Killed, 57 Wounded in Iraq – July 13th, 2018
- Oil Field Protests Escalate; 13 Killed in Iraq – July 12th, 2018
- Large ISIS Convoy Crosses over from Syria; 27 Killed in Iraq – July 11th, 2018