At least 19 people were killed, and five wounded in recent violence; a mass grave contained 167 bodies:
In Tlul al-Baaj, two tribal fighters were wounded and three militants were killed in a clash. Captured militants admitted to involvement in recent kidnappings. Authorities also found a body belonging to one of the kidnapping victims today; six had already been discovered. At least two more bodies belonging to members of the Shammar tribe were discovered there or elsewhere; at least seven had been found previously. Shammar leader Sheikh Abdallah Hmeidi Ajeel al-Yawar complained that security forces were not doing enough to protect the civilians. The tribal members were kidnapped from several locations.
In Baghdad, what may have been a traffic stop about a stolen car turned into a shootout between police and militia forces. A convoy of militiamen arrived at the stop and began shooting at police. One militiaman and two policemen were wounded. Police captured the suspect at a militia office.
Turkey announced the killing of 10 guerrillas belonging the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (P.K.K.) during airstrikes in Avasin-Basyan and Sinat Haftanin.
Militants killed a farmer in Wadi al-Safa.
Two militants were killed as they tried to plant bombs at a mosque in Hit.>
Security forces announced the discovery of a mass grave in Hatra that contained 167 bodies belonging to ISIS members.
Also, Iran handed over the remains of 128 Iraqi soldiers who were killed during the Iran-Iraq War in the 1980s.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Roadside Bombs Target Buses; 18 Killed in Iraq – September 18th, 2018
- Water Sickens Baghdad Soccer Team in Basra; 14 Killed or Found Dead in Iraq – September 17th, 2018
- Troops Deployed to Turkish Border; 20 Killed in Iraq – September 16th, 2018
- Children Found in Mosul Mass Grave; 11 Killed or Found Dead in Iraq – September 15th, 2018
- ISIS Grave Yields 23 Bodies; 19 Others Wounded in Iraq – September 14th, 2018