As most Mosul residents celebrated the Eid al-Fitr holiday without the presence of the Islamic State to dampen the observances, militants staged attacks and may have recovered territory in the few western neighborhoods they still control. It is clear that fighting has been heavy, but comprehensive casualty figures are still not being released.
At least 200 people were killed:
Fourteen bodies were found near Alam. Some were shot. Some died of exposure. The victims were fleeing Hawija.
Seven civilians were beheaded on espionage charges in Hawija.
In Yayji, gunmen kidnapped three brothers. One was found dead.
Gunmen stormed a home in Jbela, where they killed a man and arrested his family.
Gunmen killed a farmer in Iskandariya.
Airstrikes killed 30 militants in Anbar province.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- More Truffle Gatherers Kidnapped; Four Killed in Iraq – February 15th, 2019
- Militia Convoy Attacked; 17 Killed in Iraq – February 14th, 2019
- Security Forces Rescue 30 Civilians; Three Killed in Iraq – February 13th, 2019
- 10 Bodies Found in Mass Grave; 3 Killed in Iraq – February 12th, 2019
- Five Killed in Iraq, Including Security Personnel – February 11th, 2019