As most Mosul residents celebrated the Eid al-Fitr holiday without the presence of the Islamic State to dampen the observances, militants staged attacks and may have recovered territory in the few western neighborhoods they still control. It is clear that fighting has been heavy, but comprehensive casualty figures are still not being released.
At least 200 people were killed:
Fourteen bodies were found near Alam. Some were shot. Some died of exposure. The victims were fleeing Hawija.
Seven civilians were beheaded on espionage charges in Hawija.
In Yayji, gunmen kidnapped three brothers. One was found dead.
Gunmen stormed a home in Jbela, where they killed a man and arrested his family.
Gunmen killed a farmer in Iskandariya.
Airstrikes killed 30 militants in Anbar province.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- U.S. Service Member Among 17 Killed in Iraq – April 20th, 2019
- ISIS Attacks Federal Police; Four Killed in Iraq – April 18th, 2019
- Roadside Bomb Targets Soldiers; 23 Killed in Iraq – April 16th, 2019
- Militia Attacks Police in Mosul; Eight Killed in Iraq – April 14th, 2019
- Security Personnel Clash with ISIS; Seven Killed in Iraq – April 12th, 2019