Updated at 12:59 p.m. EDT, May 20, 2017
President Fuad Masum described the destruction in Mosul as “horrendous,” and invited international help for the city’s rebuilding.
At least 82 were killed and 49 were wounded:
In Baghdad, two car bombs exploded in quick succession, killing 24 people, including four policemen, and wounding up to 25 more. A bomb in Suwaib killed one person and wounded three more. A clash between policemen and militiamen left two policemen dead. Gunmen killed an officer and wounded another.
Two suicide bombers blew themselves up at checkpoints on a highway near oil fields in Basra province. Two soldiers and a traffic policeman were killed. At least 30 more deaths were reported, including several civilians on a bus who died. The bus was carrying Iranian pilgrims. At least 10 people were injured. The bombings were at the Rumeila and Sadra checkpoints.
A military photographer was killed in Qayrawan.
Gunmen killed a student in Baquba.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Scattered Attacks Continue in Kirkuk, Diyala; 27 Killed in Iraq – May 24th, 2018
- Suicide Bomber Strikes Baghdad; 16 Killed in Iraq – May 23rd, 2018
- 1,000 Bodies Recovered in Mosul; Two Turks Among 15 Killed in Iraq – May 22nd, 2018
- French Training Iraqi Forces near Syrian Border; Five Killed in Iraq – May 21st, 2018
- Eleven ISIS Militants Killed in Iraq – May 20th, 2018