Updated at 12:59 p.m. EDT, May 20, 2017
President Fuad Masum described the destruction in Mosul as “horrendous,” and invited international help for the city’s rebuilding.
At least 82 were killed and 49 were wounded:
In Baghdad, two car bombs exploded in quick succession, killing 24 people, including four policemen, and wounding up to 25 more. A bomb in Suwaib killed one person and wounded three more. A clash between policemen and militiamen left two policemen dead. Gunmen killed an officer and wounded another.
Two suicide bombers blew themselves up at checkpoints on a highway near oil fields in Basra province. Two soldiers and a traffic policeman were killed. At least 30 more deaths were reported, including several civilians on a bus who died. The bus was carrying Iranian pilgrims. At least 10 people were injured. The bombings were at the Rumeila and Sadra checkpoints.
A military photographer was killed in Qayrawan.
Gunmen killed a student in Baquba.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Over 2,200 Bodies Exhumed in Mosul Region; Four Killed in Iraq – October 18th, 2018
- Iraq Executes Six Convicts; 14 Others Killed in Attacks – October 17th, 2018
- ISIS Commander Blamed for Iran Attack among 18 Killed in Iraq – October 16th, 2018
- 51 Bodies in ISIS Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – October 15th, 2018
- Sadr Colleague Among Seven Killed; 30 Found in Iraq Mass Grave – October 14th, 2018