Updated at 12:59 p.m. EDT, May 20, 2017
President Fuad Masum described the destruction in Mosul as “horrendous,” and invited international help for the city’s rebuilding.
At least 82 were killed and 49 were wounded:
In Baghdad, two car bombs exploded in quick succession, killing 24 people, including four policemen, and wounding up to 25 more. A bomb in Suwaib killed one person and wounded three more. A clash between policemen and militiamen left two policemen dead. Gunmen killed an officer and wounded another.
Two suicide bombers blew themselves up at checkpoints on a highway near oil fields in Basra province. Two soldiers and a traffic policeman were killed. At least 30 more deaths were reported, including several civilians on a bus who died. The bus was carrying Iranian pilgrims. At least 10 people were injured. The bombings were at the Rumeila and Sadra checkpoints.
A military photographer was killed in Qayrawan.
Gunmen killed a student in Baquba.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Child Injured in Checkpoint Attack; Six Killed in Iraq – August 13th, 2018
- Fresh ISIS Clashes and Attacks; 42 Killed in Iraq – August 12th, 2018
- ISIS Attack on Tribal Fighters near Baiji; 12 Killed in Iraq – August 11th, 2018
- Double Bombing Targets First Responders; Seven Killed in Iraq – August 10th, 2018
- Abu Ghraib Official Injured in Bombing; 10 Killed in Iraq – August 9th, 2018