Troops are having a difficult time adjusting to the urban warfare of Mosul. Even with victory soon, however, it may be too late to bring back the diverse, tolerant Mosul that existed before the Islamic State militants invaded.
Troops captured Abbas Rajab.
U.S. officials estimate that 1,363 militants have been killed in the Mosul operations.
At least 80 people were killed and 42 were wounded:
Several bombings in Baghdad left 10 dead and 38 wounded.
In Sherwin, a bomb killed a tribal fighter and wounded two more.
A bomb in Muqdadiya killed a militiaman and wounded two more.
Security forces killed 22 militants in Hatra and Nimrud. This likely included Abbas Rajab.
In Mosul, a militant killed a family of six when he learned his brother had died while fighting. A strike killed three militants in the Zahra district before it was captured. Thirteen militants were killed in clashes. Two snipers were killed in Shalalat. Militant bulldozed a historic church.
Peshmerga forces in Bashiqa found and killed 17 militants hiding in a building.
An airstrike left four militants dead in Anbar province.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Scattered Attacks Leave Four Dead in Iraq – January 15th, 2019
- Children Wounded in Roadside Blast; Two Killed in Iraq – January 13th, 2019
- ISIS Members Poisoned by Relative; Seven Killed in Iraq – January 12th, 2019
- Car Bomb in Town Near Syrian Border; Six Killed in Iraq – January 11th, 2019
- 38 Found in Mass Grave near Mosul; One Killed in Iraq – January 9th, 2019