Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan announced that the start of operations in Mosul will occur on October 19. It is unclear why he would announce the date, but Ankara has been trying to meddle its way into the battle without being invited. Turkish troops are already stationed in nearby Bashiqa, even though Baghdad has demanded their removal. They may be one of many groups involved in the battle.
At least 145 people were killed and 42 were wounded:
In Mosul, militants executed 75 people.
In Baghdad, a suicide bomber killed seven people and wounded 28 more on a commercial street in Iskan.
Eleven children were treated for symptoms of chemical inhalation in Mosul. The children are thought to be “cubs of the caliphate” or children in training to fight for Daesh.
A rocket attack on Qayara left five dead and three wounded.
Security forces killed 40 militants in Hit.
Twelve militants were killed in Albu Diab.
Peshmerga forces killed five militants on an attack on Sinjar.
In Saniya, a militant was killed.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Suicide Bombers Blow Themselves up; Four Killed in Iraq – March 24th, 2019
- Truffle Gatherers Under Attack; Three Killed in Iraq – March 22nd, 2019
- 30 Found in Yazidi Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – March 21st, 2019
- Soldiers Ambushed near Baghdad; 12 Killed in Iraq – March 19th, 2019
- PKK in Fresh Clashes; Eight Killed in Iraq – March 17th, 2019