Iraq security forces claim to have taken back most of Baiji and the refinery. They have done so in the past only to lose control of the area again. Security forces have also made advances in the Ramadi region. The number of casualties in these battles was not reported.
At least 72 were killed and 11 were wounded across Iraq:
In Mosul, militants executed two mayors and three artists. A bomb blast south of the city left five militants dead. A senior militant commander and eight aides were killed in a strike.
One person was killed and seven more were wounded in a blast in Mahmoudiya.
A bomb near shops in Yusufiya killed a woman and wounded four others.
An airstrike in Hawija killed 20 militants.
Militants in Qayara executed 14 of their own for fleeing battles in Baiji.
Twelve militants were killed in the Thar Thar region.
Three militants were killed in Asriya.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Roadside Bombs Target Buses; 18 Killed in Iraq – September 18th, 2018
- Water Sickens Baghdad Soccer Team in Basra; 14 Killed or Found Dead in Iraq – September 17th, 2018
- Troops Deployed to Turkish Border; 20 Killed in Iraq – September 16th, 2018
- Children Found in Mosul Mass Grave; 11 Killed or Found Dead in Iraq – September 15th, 2018
- ISIS Grave Yields 23 Bodies; 19 Others Wounded in Iraq – September 14th, 2018