Hundreds of thousands of Shi’ite pilgrims are in Karbala to mark Ashoura, the holiday that commemorates the martyrdom of Imam Hussein. This year, many of the observers openly mixed politics with ritual.
The speaker of the parliament, Osama al-Nujaifi, said that progress has been made in the crisis between the Kurdish and central governments. Nevertheless, a large contingent of Peshmerga forces is reported on its way to Kirkuk.
Meanwhile, at least six Iraqis were killed and seven more were wounded in attacks.
A bomb exploded outside a home in Haswa and killed a civilian.
Two civilians were wounded in a bombing at a policeman’s home in Shirqat.
In Hit, an I.E.D. planted on a car seriously wounded a policeman.
A landmine wounded a shepherd in Mahaweel.
A hand grenade left no casualties in Abi Gharaq.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Basra Protests Turn Violent Again; Two Killed in Iraq – January 18th, 2019
- 40 Bodies in ISIS Grave; Seven Killed in Iraq – January 16th, 2019
- Scattered Attacks Leave Four Dead in Iraq – January 15th, 2019
- Children Wounded in Roadside Blast; Two Killed in Iraq – January 13th, 2019
- ISIS Members Poisoned by Relative; Seven Killed in Iraq – January 12th, 2019