Hundreds of thousands of Shi’ite pilgrims are in Karbala to mark Ashoura, the holiday that commemorates the martyrdom of Imam Hussein. This year, many of the observers openly mixed politics with ritual.
The speaker of the parliament, Osama al-Nujaifi, said that progress has been made in the crisis between the Kurdish and central governments. Nevertheless, a large contingent of Peshmerga forces is reported on its way to Kirkuk.
Meanwhile, at least six Iraqis were killed and seven more were wounded in attacks.
A bomb exploded outside a home in Haswa and killed a civilian.
Two civilians were wounded in a bombing at a policeman’s home in Shirqat.
In Hit, an I.E.D. planted on a car seriously wounded a policeman.
A landmine wounded a shepherd in Mahaweel.
A hand grenade left no casualties in Abi Gharaq.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Kurdish Town Strikes Against Deteriorating Security; 24 Killed in Iraq – June 22nd, 2018
- Mass ISIS Grave Yields 167 Bodies; 19 Killed Recently in Iraq – June 20th, 2018
- ISIS Kidnappings Increase Significantly; 37 Killed in Iraq – June 19th, 2018
- Shepherds Kidnapped and Executed; 16 Killed in Iraq – June 18th, 2018
- Anti-ISIS Operation Launched in Anbar; 45 Killed in Iraq – June 17th, 2018