Hundreds of thousands of Shi’ite pilgrims are in Karbala to mark Ashoura, the holiday that commemorates the martyrdom of Imam Hussein. This year, many of the observers openly mixed politics with ritual.
The speaker of the parliament, Osama al-Nujaifi, said that progress has been made in the crisis between the Kurdish and central governments. Nevertheless, a large contingent of Peshmerga forces is reported on its way to Kirkuk.
Meanwhile, at least six Iraqis were killed and seven more were wounded in attacks.
A bomb exploded outside a home in Haswa and killed a civilian.
Two civilians were wounded in a bombing at a policeman’s home in Shirqat.
In Hit, an I.E.D. planted on a car seriously wounded a policeman.
A landmine wounded a shepherd in Mahaweel.
A hand grenade left no casualties in Abi Gharaq.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Sadr Colleague Among Seven Killed; 30 Found in Iraq Mass Grave – October 14th, 2018
- Mass Grave Gives up 78 Victims; 11 Recently Killed in Iraq – October 13th, 2018
- 30 Bodies in Mass Grave near Mosul; Two Killed in Iraq – October 11th, 2018
- ISIS Attack on Oil Field; 15 Killed in Iraq – October 10th, 2018
- Security Forces Among 13 Killed in Iraq – October 9th, 2018