Hundreds of thousands of Shi’ite pilgrims are in Karbala to mark Ashoura, the holiday that commemorates the martyrdom of Imam Hussein. This year, many of the observers openly mixed politics with ritual.
The speaker of the parliament, Osama al-Nujaifi, said that progress has been made in the crisis between the Kurdish and central governments. Nevertheless, a large contingent of Peshmerga forces is reported on its way to Kirkuk.
Meanwhile, at least six Iraqis were killed and seven more were wounded in attacks.
A bomb exploded outside a home in Haswa and killed a civilian.
Two civilians were wounded in a bombing at a policeman’s home in Shirqat.
In Hit, an I.E.D. planted on a car seriously wounded a policeman.
A landmine wounded a shepherd in Mahaweel.
A hand grenade left no casualties in Abi Gharaq.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Protests in Basra Ramp up Again; 30 Killed in Iraq – August 15th, 2018
- Bombers Return to Sadr City; Five Killed in Iraq – August 14th, 2018
- Child Injured in Checkpoint Attack; Six Killed in Iraq – August 13th, 2018
- Fresh ISIS Clashes and Attacks; 42 Killed in Iraq – August 12th, 2018
- ISIS Attack on Tribal Fighters near Baiji; 12 Killed in Iraq – August 11th, 2018