With the end of Eid al-Fitr observances, reports of violence returned to their average levels. At least 20 Iraqis were killed and 33 more were wounded. Baghdad and its suburb of Sadr City saw the most casualties, but Mosul reported a number of deaths in small-scale attacks.
In Baghdad, insurgents threw bombs and grenades at a Karrada-area hotel housing a nightclub, which erupted in flames shortly afterwards. Six people were killed and 12 more were killed in the fire that is under investigation.
A blast killed one person and wounded three more in Khan Bani Saad.
A blast in Jurf al-Milih wounded three policemen, one of them an officer.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Turkish Jets Cross Border to Target PKK; 14 Killed in Iraq – January 21st, 2019
- Four People Killed in Iraq Attacks – January 20th, 2019
- Basra Protests Turn Violent Again; Two Killed in Iraq – January 18th, 2019
- 40 Bodies in ISIS Grave; Seven Killed in Iraq – January 16th, 2019
- Scattered Attacks Leave Four Dead in Iraq – January 15th, 2019