Although attacks were few today, violence left at least 24 people killed and more than 50 wounded across Iraq. The worst attack occurred near Suwayra where religious observances were marred by a large car bomb. A prominent lawyer’s family was massacred in the north. Also, three high officials were targeted for assassination, but only one attempt was successful.
A car bomb targeting a commemoration ceremony near Suwayra in al-Tanmiya killed 13 people. The ceremony was to mark the historic wounding of a figure central to Shi’ite Islam. The blast, which took place around the time of the Iftar meal, set fire to a market and destroyed nearby homes. At least 38 more were wounded.
Gunmen killed eight people at a lawyer’s home in Baiji. The lawyer, his wife, five children, and a relative who was staying with them were all shot to death.
In Baghdad, the Minister of Culture was assassinated and his wife was wounded in a small arms attack in Doura. Gunmen in Zayouna killed one policeman and wounded a second. A blast wounded five in Wahda.
A bomb in Amiriyat al-Falluja killed one civilian and wounded three others.
A blast targeting an Iraqiya leader and the secretary of the Electricity Ministry traveling in Abu Ghraib wounded several guards instead.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- US Soldier Among 25 Killed in Iraq – April 24th, 2019
- Continuing anti-ISIS Operations; Five Killed in Iraq – April 23rd, 2019
- Team Exhuming Mass Grave Fired On; Nine Killed in Iraq – April 22nd, 2019
- U.S. Service Member Among 17 Killed in Iraq – April 20th, 2019
- ISIS Attacks Federal Police; Four Killed in Iraq – April 18th, 2019