A dramatic suicide bombing at a funeral in Baghdad took the lion’s share of casualties today. However, across the country, gunmen were able to kill several security personnel. At least 40 Iraqis were killed and 67 more were wounded overall.
In Baghdad, a suicide taxi bomber targeted a funeral procession traveling in the Zaafaraniya district. At least 32 people were killed and 65 more were wounded. The funeral was for three victims killed in a shooting yesterday, but many of today’s victims were policemen who had been guarding the mourners. The bombing itself took place near shops, a hospital, and a police station. Afterwards, gunmen killed two policemen at a nearby checkpoint.
Gunmen killed a man who operates a community power generator in Zinjili.
A judge’s assistant was killed in Akbusaif village.
The mutilated body of a Peshmerga guard was discovered in Khanaqin.
In Mosul, an off-duty soldier was gunned down.
A sticky bomb killed a Sahwa leader in Garma.
A bomb wounded a policeman in Mansouriya.
Gunmen shooting at a home in Dali Abbas wounded a Sahwa member there.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Roadside Bomb Targets Soldiers; 23 Killed in Iraq – April 16th, 2019
- Militia Attacks Police in Mosul; Eight Killed in Iraq – April 14th, 2019
- Security Personnel Clash with ISIS; Seven Killed in Iraq – April 12th, 2019
- Large-scale anti-ISIS operation; 18 Killed in Iraq – April 11th, 2019
- Bomb Targets Tribal Leader and Family; Two Killed in Iraq – April 10th, 2019