Ayad Allawi reached out to Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, hoping to open a reconciliation dialogue. He said he is unashamed to work with the prime minister, if Maliki will give up opposing stances and seek true reconciliation. Several issues, including the appointment of ministerial posts, have been left unresolved even though the current Maliki government has been in office for a year. Months of political wrangling last year allowed Maliki to maintain his post even though his party lost last year elections by two seats.
Meanwhile, at least three Iraqis were killed and four more were wounded.
In Baghdad, gunmen killed a man driving a car in Ur. An intelligence officer was shot dead on a highway near Ghazaliya. A fire is raging at an agricultural chemical warehouse; authorities fear it may cause pollution. Mortar fire was heard early in the morning, but no casualties were reported.
Gunmen stormed a home in Zaginya, where they killed one person and wounded his brother.
A bomb in Baquba wounded two people.
A police officer was wounded in Samarra when gunmen in a car lobbed a grenade at him.
A 7-year-old girl was liberated and her kidnappers arrested in Hilla.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 47 Bodies Found in Mass Grave; 13 Killed in Iraq – February 20th, 2019
- Truffle Hunters Executed; 17 Killed in Iraq – February 19th, 2019
- Fresh Dangers for Truffle Hunters; 12 Killed in Iraq – February 18th, 2019
- Attack at Military Base Near Kirkuk; 11 Killed in Iraq – February 17th, 2019
- Elderly Shrine Tender Among Eight Killed in Iraq – February 16th, 2019