At least five Iraqis were killed and 16 more were wounded in attacks across central and northern Iraq.
As well as offering a $10 million bounty, the U.S. State Department has designated the senior leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq, Ibrahim Awwad Ibrahim Ali al-Badri (A.KA. Abu Du’a), a "Specially Designated Global Terrorist." The designation prohibits supporting Abu Du’a and freezes any assets he may have in the United States or that come under the control of U.S. persons.
Iraqi leaders granted U.S. trainers the right to stay in Iraq after the Dec. 31 withdrawal date but refused to grant them immunity from Iraqi laws. They will they not be allowed to conduct military operations nor make arrests.
One soldier was killed and eight others were wounded in Taji when a car bomb exploded.
In Baquba, one person was killed and five others were wounded in a bombing. Gunmen killed two soldiers at a checkpoint.
A roadside bomb blast in Riyadh killed one person and wounded two others.
In nearby Rashad, another blast wounded one civilian.
A bombing in Meshahda left no casualties.
In Turkey, police detained 120 people for having ties to Kurdish rebels. Meanwhile, activists gathered in Istanbul to protest the escalating tensions between the Turkish government and Kurdish rebels. Over the summer, rebel attacks have increased and so has Turkish retaliation, which included air and artillery strikes into northern Iraq.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Child Injured in Checkpoint Attack; Six Killed in Iraq – August 13th, 2018
- Fresh ISIS Clashes and Attacks; 42 Killed in Iraq – August 12th, 2018
- ISIS Attack on Tribal Fighters near Baiji; 12 Killed in Iraq – August 11th, 2018
- Double Bombing Targets First Responders; Seven Killed in Iraq – August 10th, 2018
- Abu Ghraib Official Injured in Bombing; 10 Killed in Iraq – August 9th, 2018