Parliament today passed a contentious elections law that could allow national elections to occur as early as January. Iraq also enjoyed a third day of very light violence. At least seven Iraqis were killed and nine more were wounded.
In Fallujah, a gunman was killed and a policeman was wounded during a clash at a checkpoint. U.S. forces freed 11 detainees after investigations proved them innocent of wrongdoing. A car bomb was defused.
The body of a young woman was found bound and shot in western Kut.
In Kirkuk, an oil company employee was wounded during a small arms attack.
A bomb in Khalis wounded a civilian.
Seven suspects were captured in Baquba after an assassination attempt on a local leader.
Eleven suspects were detained during raids in Hawija.
Twenty-seven suspects were arrested across Basra, where such arrests could be politically motivated.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Roadside Bomb Targets Soldiers; 23 Killed in Iraq – April 16th, 2019
- Militia Attacks Police in Mosul; Eight Killed in Iraq – April 14th, 2019
- Security Personnel Clash with ISIS; Seven Killed in Iraq – April 12th, 2019
- Large-scale anti-ISIS operation; 18 Killed in Iraq – April 11th, 2019
- Bomb Targets Tribal Leader and Family; Two Killed in Iraq – April 10th, 2019