Updated at 8:45 p.m. EDT, Sept. 25, 2009
At least 20 Iraqis were killed and seven wounded in the latest violence. Also, the entire staff of a Tikrit jail was arrested in connection with a major jailbreak.
In Bashika, 16 Iraqi soldiers were killed when a bomb they were escorting to a disposal area accidentally exploded. The blast, which happened in a remote area near Mosul, set off the rest of the ordnance they were carrying.
The staff of a Tikrit prison where 16 detainees escaped has been arrested. All employees, 109 of them including officials, were detained for questioning in the escape. Four escapees were captured this morning. At least six have been caught so far.
Anbar police liberated a child and arrested two suspects in a western region.
In Mosul, an explosion outside the home of a judge damaged his home but no casualties were reported. Two civilians were killed separately. Two policemen were killed and a third was wounded in clashes in Yarmouk.
Two al-Qaeda suspects were detained in Baquba.
The U.S. military rounded up 14 suspects after an attack on U.S. troops in Kirkuk.
Dhi Qar province police arrested 66 suspects this week.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Electric Infrastructure Targeted; Six Killed in Iraq – August 17th, 2018
- Six Executed in Iraq; Six Others Killed Across Country – August 16th, 2018
- Protests in Basra Ramp up Again; 30 Killed in Iraq – August 15th, 2018
- Bombers Return to Sadr City; Five Killed in Iraq – August 14th, 2018
- Child Injured in Checkpoint Attack; Six Killed in Iraq – August 13th, 2018