Updated at 8:58 p.m. EDT, Sept. 20, 2009
One American soldier was killed and 12 more were injured when a Black Hawk helicopter crashed at the Balad Air Base during bad weather. At least two Iraqis were killed and 17 more were wounded in other violence.
Meanwhile, Iraqis are flocking to the relatively safe Kurdistan region to enjoy the Eid al-Fitr holiday, which marks the end of Ramadan. Other areas have tightened security for the duration. Also, a newly formed political alliance is reaching out to Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki.
A bomb exploded at an Iskandariya cemetery just as a family was visiting. A civilian man was killed and four relatives were wounded. Many Iraqis visit gravesites during the Eid holiday.
Gunmen killed an army officer in Jalawla.
A roadside bomb in Saidiya wounded three officers and two soldiers.
Gunmen at a checkpoint in Muqdadiya wounded a policeman and a civilian.
Ninewa province has tightened security for the Eid holiday.
In Shatra, 31 suspects were detained.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Basra Protest Organizer Among Eight Killed in Iraq – November 17th, 2018
- Turkish Jets Bomb Civilians; Six Killed in Iraq – November 15th, 2018
- Fresh Operations near Mosul; 22 Killed in Iraq – November 14th, 2018
- 25 Killed in Turkish Strikes Against PKK in Northern Iraq – November 13th, 2018
- Sunni Militia Officer Among 16 Killed in Iraq – November 12th, 2018