Updated at 8:58 p.m. EDT, Sept. 20, 2009
One American soldier was killed and 12 more were injured when a Black Hawk helicopter crashed at the Balad Air Base during bad weather. At least two Iraqis were killed and 17 more were wounded in other violence.
Meanwhile, Iraqis are flocking to the relatively safe Kurdistan region to enjoy the Eid al-Fitr holiday, which marks the end of Ramadan. Other areas have tightened security for the duration. Also, a newly formed political alliance is reaching out to Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki.
A bomb exploded at an Iskandariya cemetery just as a family was visiting. A civilian man was killed and four relatives were wounded. Many Iraqis visit gravesites during the Eid holiday.
Gunmen killed an army officer in Jalawla.
A roadside bomb in Saidiya wounded three officers and two soldiers.
Gunmen at a checkpoint in Muqdadiya wounded a policeman and a civilian.
Ninewa province has tightened security for the Eid holiday.
In Shatra, 31 suspects were detained.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Political Blocs Discuss Coalition Building; Seven Killed in Iraq – August 19th, 2018
- Militia Armory Burns and Explodes; 15 Killed in Iraq – August 18th, 2018
- Electric Infrastructure Targeted; Six Killed in Iraq – August 17th, 2018
- Six Executed in Iraq; Six Others Killed Across Country – August 16th, 2018
- Protests in Basra Ramp up Again; 30 Killed in Iraq – August 15th, 2018