Updated at 12:35 a.m. EST Jan. 26, 2009
At least two Iraqis were killed and eight more were wounded on a very quiet Sunday. No Coalition deaths were reported. Although this is start of the workweek and provincial elections will be held this Saturday, there was little political news as well.
In Baghdad, a roadside bomb wounded four people, including two civilians, in the Karrada district. A security spokesman said that six people were arrested when they were caught trying to plant a roadside bomb. Also, a fire broke out late Sunday at the Ministry of Science offices; no casualties were reported but firefighters were still battling the blaze when the report went over the wires.
A body was found near Arbil.
A firefight in Jurf al-Sakhar left one Iraqi soldier dead and another wounded. Four gunmen were arrested.
Twenty-one suspects were arrested across Diyala province.
Fifteen suspects were arrested in Tarmiyah.
A suspect was arrested in connection with a roadside bomb blast in Khalis.
Rocket launchers, missiles and landmines were seized in Amara.
Eight suicide belts were found and five other bombs were defused in Buhriz.
Explosives were found near Nasariya.
Nine suspects were arrested in Basra.
A combined security plan for Dhi Qar, Muthanna and Missan provinces will be in effect for the election.
Compiled by Margaret Griffis
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Old ISIS Explosives Wound Children; 17 Killed in Iraq – January 19th, 2018
- Mass Grave Filled with Policemen; 30 Killed in Iraq – January 18th, 2018
- Attacks Shift to Diyala Province; 11 Killed in Iraq – January 17th, 2018
- Mass Grave at Badush Prison; 66 Killed in Iraq – January 16th, 2018
- Bloody Day in Baghdad; 53 Killed in Iraq – January 15th, 2018