Updated at 11:22 p.m. EDT, Aug. 17, 2008
With the end of the Shabaniyah observance, Shi’ites are returning to their home cities from Karbala. No major events were reported in the city. Iraqi newspapers have ceased publication for the day. Overall, 19 Iraqis were killed and 40 others were wounded in violent attacks elsewhere.
Two people were killed, including a 14-year-old boy and four others were wounded during a protest march in Arbil. The demonstrators were complaining over a lack of services in their Khlifan district. Arbil which is the capital of the Kurdish autonomous region is quite peaceful compared to the rest of the country.
A roadside bomb wounded three women in Wajihiya.
In Mosul, one policeman was killed and another was injured in a small arms attack.
In Baghdad, A suicide bomber on a motorcycle attacked an Awakening Council checkpoint in Adhamiya, killing 15 people and wounding 29 more. Gunmen lobbed a grenade at a television crew; three were wounded. Also, 29 suspects were detained.
A roadside bomb factory was seized, and 99 suspects were detained in the Karbala region.
The Turkish army reported shelling a PKK base in northern Iraq, but the incident remains independently unconfirmed. The number of casualties was not reported.
Compiled by Margaret Griffis
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 47 Bodies Found in Mass Grave; 13 Killed in Iraq – February 20th, 2019
- Truffle Hunters Executed; 17 Killed in Iraq – February 19th, 2019
- Fresh Dangers for Truffle Hunters; 12 Killed in Iraq – February 18th, 2019
- Attack at Military Base Near Kirkuk; 11 Killed in Iraq – February 17th, 2019
- Elderly Shrine Tender Among Eight Killed in Iraq – February 16th, 2019