Updated at 11:22 p.m. EDT, Aug. 17, 2008
With the end of the Shabaniyah observance, Shi’ites are returning to their home cities from Karbala. No major events were reported in the city. Iraqi newspapers have ceased publication for the day. Overall, 19 Iraqis were killed and 40 others were wounded in violent attacks elsewhere.
Two people were killed, including a 14-year-old boy and four others were wounded during a protest march in Arbil. The demonstrators were complaining over a lack of services in their Khlifan district. Arbil which is the capital of the Kurdish autonomous region is quite peaceful compared to the rest of the country.
A roadside bomb wounded three women in Wajihiya.
In Mosul, one policeman was killed and another was injured in a small arms attack.
In Baghdad, A suicide bomber on a motorcycle attacked an Awakening Council checkpoint in Adhamiya, killing 15 people and wounding 29 more. Gunmen lobbed a grenade at a television crew; three were wounded. Also, 29 suspects were detained.
A roadside bomb factory was seized, and 99 suspects were detained in the Karbala region.
The Turkish army reported shelling a PKK base in northern Iraq, but the incident remains independently unconfirmed. The number of casualties was not reported.
Compiled by Margaret Griffis
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Sadr Colleague Among Seven Killed; 30 Found in Iraq Mass Grave – October 14th, 2018
- Mass Grave Gives up 78 Victims; 11 Recently Killed in Iraq – October 13th, 2018
- 30 Bodies in Mass Grave near Mosul; Two Killed in Iraq – October 11th, 2018
- ISIS Attack on Oil Field; 15 Killed in Iraq – October 10th, 2018
- Security Forces Among 13 Killed in Iraq – October 9th, 2018