Updated at 1:15 a.m. EST, Jan. 12, 2008
For the first time in living memory, snow fell in Baghdad this morning. The unusual precipitation was a welcome break and taken by many residents as an omen of peace this prayer day. Unfortunately, 31 Iraqis were still killed and another 11 were wounded in light attacks. No Coalition deaths were reported.
In Baghdad, four people were killed and eight were wounded during a bombing outside a bakery in in al-Ghadeer. U.S. forces raided the Hurriya neighborhood but no casualties were reported. Also, three dumped bodies were recovered.
Three policemen were wounded when a roadside blasted them in Mahmudiya.
In Abu Saida, a suicide bomber killed himself during a raid, but caused no other casaulties. Eleven others were detained.
Two al-Qaeda suspects were killed and two more were arrested during clashes in Samarra.
U.S. forces killed 10 suspects during continuing operations around Muqdadiyah; 20 more were arrested. Iraqi forces killed nine suspects and arrested 59 others across Iraq. U.S. forces killed two suspects and detained 11 in northern and central locations. Around Latifiya, 130 suspects were rounded-up. Meanwhile, 11 innocent detainees were freed in Fallujah.
Compiled by Margaret Griffis
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 26 Shabaks Found in Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – February 22nd, 2019
- Border Guards Among 15 Killed in Iraq – February 21st, 2019
- 47 Bodies Found in Mass Grave; 13 Killed in Iraq – February 20th, 2019
- Truffle Hunters Executed; 17 Killed in Iraq – February 19th, 2019
- Fresh Dangers for Truffle Hunters; 12 Killed in Iraq – February 18th, 2019