Millions of Shi’ite pilgrims gathered in Karbala on Friday to observe Arbaeen, a religious holiday that marks the end of the 40-day mourning period for Imam Hussein, a grandson of the Prophet Mohammed. The rite was banned under Saddam Hussein, who was Sunni.
At least eight people were killed, and 14 more were wounded in recent violence:
Several soldiers were wounded when leftover explosives blew up in Rayhana.
Soldiers killed four militants attempting cross over from Syria.
Three militants were killed and nine were wounded when security forces fired artillery at their location in the Hamrin Mountains.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Anti-ISIS Operation Launched in Anbar; 45 Killed in Iraq – June 17th, 2018
- More Humanitarian Aid Planned; Seven Killed in Iraq – June 16th, 2018
- Forty ISIS Bodies Found in Grave; 28 Killed in Iraq – June 15th, 2018
- Euphrates Fills with Bodies Floating in from Syria; 18 Killed or Found Dead in Iraq – June 14th, 2018
- South Korea Delivers Promised T-50 Jets; Six Killed in Iraq – June 13th, 2018