Millions of Shi’ite pilgrims gathered in Karbala on Friday to observe Arbaeen, a religious holiday that marks the end of the 40-day mourning period for Imam Hussein, a grandson of the Prophet Mohammed. The rite was banned under Saddam Hussein, who was Sunni.
At least eight people were killed, and 14 more were wounded in recent violence:
Several soldiers were wounded when leftover explosives blew up in Rayhana.
Soldiers killed four militants attempting cross over from Syria.
Three militants were killed and nine were wounded when security forces fired artillery at their location in the Hamrin Mountains.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Truck Bombing in Contested Town; 88 Killed in Iraq – November 21st, 2017
- Large Operation Against ISIS in Hawija; 30 Killed in Iraq – November 20th, 2017
- Mass Grave Found in Yazidi Town; 46 Killed in Iraq – November 19th, 2017
- Gunmen Attack Baghdad Checkpoint; 20 Killed in Iraq – November 18th, 2017
- Last Remaining ISIS Town in Iraq Captured; 17 Killed in Iraq – November 17th, 2017