Millions of Shi’ite pilgrims gathered in Karbala on Friday to observe Arbaeen, a religious holiday that marks the end of the 40-day mourning period for Imam Hussein, a grandson of the Prophet Mohammed. The rite was banned under Saddam Hussein, who was Sunni.
At least eight people were killed, and 14 more were wounded in recent violence:
Several soldiers were wounded when leftover explosives blew up in Rayhana.
Soldiers killed four militants attempting cross over from Syria.
Three militants were killed and nine were wounded when security forces fired artillery at their location in the Hamrin Mountains.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Turkish Airstrikes Leave Kurdish Fatalities; 14 Killed in Iraq – March 22nd, 2018
- India Abductees Found Dead Near Mosul; 72 Killed in Iraq – March 20th, 2018
- ISIS Attacks on Kirkuk Province Highways; Four Killed in Iraq – March 19th, 2018
- Bodies Pollute River in Mosul; 12 Killed in Iraq – March 18th, 2018
- Seven U.S. Airmen Among 131 Killed in Iraq – March 16th, 2018