Army Lt. Gen. Paul E. Funk II has replaced Lt. Gen. Stephen Townsend as head of Operation Inherent Resolve, the effort to defeat the Islamic State militants.
About 1,200 people arrived in Rutba after escaping Islamic State-held territory in Anah, Rawah, and Qaim.
At least 43 people were killed and 16 more were wounded in recent violence:
A cleric was seriously wounded and three companions were killed during a grenade attack in Najaf.
A bomb at an Abu Ghraib market killed one person and wounded four more.
Ten Peshmerga were wounded when a bomb exploded near Shaalan village.
A bomb wounded a conscript in Tarmiya.
Turkish airstrikes killed eight members of the Kurdistan Workers Party in the Zab area.
Fifteen militants were killed during airstrikes in Metabijh.
A strike on Qaim killed eight militants.
Four militants were killed during an attack on Zuwiya junction.
In Balad, security forces killed three suicide bombers.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Over 2,200 Bodies Exhumed in Mosul Region; Four Killed in Iraq – October 18th, 2018
- Iraq Executes Six Convicts; 14 Others Killed in Attacks – October 17th, 2018
- ISIS Commander Blamed for Iran Attack among 18 Killed in Iraq – October 16th, 2018
- 51 Bodies in ISIS Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – October 15th, 2018
- Sadr Colleague Among Seven Killed; 30 Found in Iraq Mass Grave – October 14th, 2018