Army Lt. Gen. Paul E. Funk II has replaced Lt. Gen. Stephen Townsend as head of Operation Inherent Resolve, the effort to defeat the Islamic State militants.
About 1,200 people arrived in Rutba after escaping Islamic State-held territory in Anah, Rawah, and Qaim.
At least 43 people were killed and 16 more were wounded in recent violence:
A cleric was seriously wounded and three companions were killed during a grenade attack in Najaf.
A bomb at an Abu Ghraib market killed one person and wounded four more.
Ten Peshmerga were wounded when a bomb exploded near Shaalan village.
A bomb wounded a conscript in Tarmiya.
Turkish airstrikes killed eight members of the Kurdistan Workers Party in the Zab area.
Fifteen militants were killed during airstrikes in Metabijh.
A strike on Qaim killed eight militants.
Four militants were killed during an attack on Zuwiya junction.
In Balad, security forces killed three suicide bombers.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Kurds Celebrate Referendum; 27 Killed in Iraq – September 25th, 2017
- Iraq Executes Dozens of Convicts; 116 Killed in Iraq – September 24th, 2017
- Shirqat Nearly Liberated; 297 Killed in Iraq – September 23rd, 2017
- Turkey Desperate to Stop Kurdish Vote; 41 Killed in Iraq – September 22nd, 2017
- Operations Launched in Hawija and Shirqat; 70 Killed in Iraq – September 21st, 2017