Security forces in Ayadiya have been engaging in heavy street battles and even door-to-door fighting to clear out desperate Islamic State militants. Despite the resistance, troops have captured at least 90 percent of the town, according to Federal Police Chief Major-General Raed Jawdat. Separately, Lieutenant Colonel Adnan al-Saidi said troops were ordered to capture the city before the beginning of the Eid al-Adha holiday on Thursday evening; but, Shi’ite militia forces are declaring that it has already been captured. About 500 militants are believed holed up in Ayadiya.
At least 142 people were killed and two were wounded:
The body of a tribal leader was found bearing gunshot wounded in Baquba.
In Baghdad, a blast wounded two people.
Airstrikes left 94 militants dead near the Syria border in the Qaim region.
Border guards killed seven militants in Yarabiya.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- More Yazidi Victims Found in Mass Graves; 97 Killed in Iraq – December 16th, 2017
- Suicide Bomber Attacks Militia; 15 Killed in Iraq – December 15th, 2017
- Dozens of Sunnis Executed on Terror Charges; 53 Killed in Iraq – December 14th, 2017
- ISIS Attacks Troops, Mass Grave Found; 68 Killed in Iraq – December 13th, 2017
- UN Probes Right Abuses in Restive Tuz Khormato; Seven Killed in Iraq – December 12th, 2017