Security forces in Ayadiya have been engaging in heavy street battles and even door-to-door fighting to clear out desperate Islamic State militants. Despite the resistance, troops have captured at least 90 percent of the town, according to Federal Police Chief Major-General Raed Jawdat. Separately, Lieutenant Colonel Adnan al-Saidi said troops were ordered to capture the city before the beginning of the Eid al-Adha holiday on Thursday evening; but, Shi’ite militia forces are declaring that it has already been captured. About 500 militants are believed holed up in Ayadiya.
At least 142 people were killed and two were wounded:
The body of a tribal leader was found bearing gunshot wounded in Baquba.
In Baghdad, a blast wounded two people.
Airstrikes left 94 militants dead near the Syria border in the Qaim region.
Border guards killed seven militants in Yarabiya.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- India Abductees Found Dead Near Mosul; 72 Killed in Iraq – March 20th, 2018
- ISIS Attacks on Kirkuk Province Highways; Four Killed in Iraq – March 19th, 2018
- Bodies Pollute River in Mosul; 12 Killed in Iraq – March 18th, 2018
- Seven U.S. Airmen Among 131 Killed in Iraq – March 16th, 2018
- U.S. Military Helicopter Crash; 63 Killed in Iraq – March 15th, 2018