Security forces in Ayadiya have been engaging in heavy street battles and even door-to-door fighting to clear out desperate Islamic State militants. Despite the resistance, troops have captured at least 90 percent of the town, according to Federal Police Chief Major-General Raed Jawdat. Separately, Lieutenant Colonel Adnan al-Saidi said troops were ordered to capture the city before the beginning of the Eid al-Adha holiday on Thursday evening; but, Shi’ite militia forces are declaring that it has already been captured. About 500 militants are believed holed up in Ayadiya.
At least 142 people were killed and two were wounded:
The body of a tribal leader was found bearing gunshot wounded in Baquba.
In Baghdad, a blast wounded two people.
Airstrikes left 94 militants dead near the Syria border in the Qaim region.
Border guards killed seven militants in Yarabiya.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Car Bomb Explodes at Market South of Mosul; Seven Killed in Iraq – October 23rd, 2018
- Baghdad Deploys More Troops to Kirkuk; 13 Killed in Iraq – October 22nd, 2018
- Random Attacks Rattle North; 23 Killed in Iraq – October 21st, 2018
- Nine Militants Killed During Security Operations in Iraq – October 20th, 2018
- Anti-ISIS Imam Among 11 Killed in Iraq – October 19th, 2018