Security forces in Ayadiya have been engaging in heavy street battles and even door-to-door fighting to clear out desperate Islamic State militants. Despite the resistance, troops have captured at least 90 percent of the town, according to Federal Police Chief Major-General Raed Jawdat. Separately, Lieutenant Colonel Adnan al-Saidi said troops were ordered to capture the city before the beginning of the Eid al-Adha holiday on Thursday evening; but, Shi’ite militia forces are declaring that it has already been captured. About 500 militants are believed holed up in Ayadiya.
At least 142 people were killed and two were wounded:
The body of a tribal leader was found bearing gunshot wounded in Baquba.
In Baghdad, a blast wounded two people.
Airstrikes left 94 militants dead near the Syria border in the Qaim region.
Border guards killed seven militants in Yarabiya.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Amnesty Accuses Baghdad of Attacking Protesters; 4 Killed, 46 Wounded in Iraq – July 20th, 2018
- Mass Grave Yields 48 ISIS fighters; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 19th, 2018
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018
- Peshmerga Killed in New Anti-ISIS Operation; 10 Killed in Iraq – July 16th, 2018