Less than a week after the mission to liberate the city was launched, Brig. Gen. Yahya Rasool has declared that 90 percent of Tal Afar is in Iraqi control. Of 29 neighborhoods, 27 have been captured, and some security units have ceased operations.
France has pledged its support to stabilize Iraq after the defeat of the Islamic State militants.
At least 91 people were killed and 11 were wounded:
A roadside bomb in Kirkuk killed one Peshmerga members and wounded six more.
One border guard was killed and five were wounded in a blast near the border with Saudi Arabia.
In Baghdad, a bomb killed a civilian.
Nine militants were killed in a strike in Hawija.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Shirqat Nearly Liberated; 297 Killed in Iraq – September 23rd, 2017
- Turkey Desperate to Stop Kurdish Vote; 41 Killed in Iraq – September 22nd, 2017
- Operations Launched in Hawija and Shirqat; 70 Killed in Iraq – September 21st, 2017
- Dozens of Bodies Found in Mass Graves; 121 Killed in Iraq – September 20th, 2017
- Suicide Bombers Attack Restaurant; 64 Killed in Iraq – September 19th, 2017