Less than a week after the mission to liberate the city was launched, Brig. Gen. Yahya Rasool has declared that 90 percent of Tal Afar is in Iraqi control. Of 29 neighborhoods, 27 have been captured, and some security units have ceased operations.
France has pledged its support to stabilize Iraq after the defeat of the Islamic State militants.
At least 91 people were killed and 11 were wounded:
A roadside bomb in Kirkuk killed one Peshmerga members and wounded six more.
One border guard was killed and five were wounded in a blast near the border with Saudi Arabia.
In Baghdad, a bomb killed a civilian.
Nine militants were killed in a strike in Hawija.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Kurdish Town Strikes Against Deteriorating Security; 24 Killed in Iraq – June 22nd, 2018
- Mass ISIS Grave Yields 167 Bodies; 19 Killed Recently in Iraq – June 20th, 2018
- ISIS Kidnappings Increase Significantly; 37 Killed in Iraq – June 19th, 2018
- Shepherds Kidnapped and Executed; 16 Killed in Iraq – June 18th, 2018
- Anti-ISIS Operation Launched in Anbar; 45 Killed in Iraq – June 17th, 2018