Less than a week after the mission to liberate the city was launched, Brig. Gen. Yahya Rasool has declared that 90 percent of Tal Afar is in Iraqi control. Of 29 neighborhoods, 27 have been captured, and some security units have ceased operations.
France has pledged its support to stabilize Iraq after the defeat of the Islamic State militants.
At least 91 people were killed and 11 were wounded:
A roadside bomb in Kirkuk killed one Peshmerga members and wounded six more.
One border guard was killed and five were wounded in a blast near the border with Saudi Arabia.
In Baghdad, a bomb killed a civilian.
Nine militants were killed in a strike in Hawija.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- U.S. Soldier Among Eight Killed in Iraq – February 20th, 2018
- ISIS Ambushes Shi’ite Militiamen near Kirkuk; 31 Killed in Iraq – February 19th, 2018
- ISIS Widows Sentenced to Death, Prison; Eight Killed in Iraq – February 18th, 2018
- Another Mass Grave Found South of Mosul; 116 Killed in Iraq – February 17th, 2018
- Security Forces Battle ISIS near Mosul; 23 Killed in Iraq – February 15th, 2018