Demonstrators in Baghdad called for the prosecution of former Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki over the “three scourges” (the fall of Mosul, the Camp Speicher massacre, and corruption in government) that they blame him for. Maliki currently serves as one of three vice presidents, but he has intimated that he wants to become premier again.
The United Nations announced it will not take part in the Kurdish independence referendum.
About 200,000 residents have returned to eastern Mosul.
At least 46 were killed and three were wounded:
Gunmen dressed in military uniforms killed a tribal member in Suleiman Bek.
In Talul al-Baj, eight suicide bombers were killed.
Security forces killed a militant and wounded another in a failed attack on a checkpoint in Saidiya.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- ISIS Executes Their Own; 12 Killed in Iraq – June 27th, 2017
- Heavy Fighting and Counterattacks in Mosul; 61 Killed in Iraq – June 26th, 2017
- Hawija Displaced Found Dead; 200 Killed in Iraq – June 25th, 2017
- Civilians Flee Mosul War Zone; 59 Killed in Iraq – June 24th, 2017
- Many Casualties in Mosul Attacks; 151 Killed in Iraq – June 23rd, 2017