Militiamen launched an operation in the Baaj and Qayrawan area, which is about 60 miles west of Mosul.
Civilians in Mosul say that the Islamic State militants are welding their doors shut and booby-trapping possible exits, so that residents must remain in the city and be used as human shields.
At least 44 were killed and seven were wounded in recent violence:
A car bomb killed two people and wounded four in Baghdad.
Mortars fell on Shirqat, killing a married couple and two of their children.
In Mosul, security forces retook Islah al-Zeraie district, where they killed a militant official and his assistant. Three suicide bombers where killed in the Old City. Dozens of militants were killed in Ektisanen district.
Security forces killed 27 militants in Qayrawan.
Six militants were killed in Umm al-Shababit.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018
- Peshmerga Killed in New Anti-ISIS Operation; 10 Killed in Iraq – July 16th, 2018
- Protests Enter Second Week; 14 Killed, 366 Wounded in Iraq – July 15th, 2018
- Two Killed, 33 Injured in Continuing Protests in Southern Iraq – July 14th, 2018
- Protests Spread Through Southern Provinces; 7 Killed, 57 Wounded in Iraq – July 13th, 2018