Witnesses in Mosul report that militants are executing scores of people trying to escape the fighting. They are hanging the bodies of some victims from utility poles or leaving near the frontlines as a warning to others.
At least 276 were killed and 12 were wounded:
A bomb in Saidiya killed three security personnel and wounded nine more; three militants were killed. Four militants were killed separately.
In Baghdad, a bomb near a market in Suwaib killed one person and wounded three more.
After an increase in attacks in Salah ad-Din province, security forces conducted an operation and killed 200 militants.
Security forces killed 30 militants while recapturing Rayhanna.
In Tal Afar, strikes killed 19 militants.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Basra Protests Turn Violent Again; Two Killed in Iraq – January 18th, 2019
- 40 Bodies in ISIS Grave; Seven Killed in Iraq – January 16th, 2019
- Scattered Attacks Leave Four Dead in Iraq – January 15th, 2019
- Children Wounded in Roadside Blast; Two Killed in Iraq – January 13th, 2019
- ISIS Members Poisoned by Relative; Seven Killed in Iraq – January 12th, 2019