Witnesses in Mosul report that militants are executing scores of people trying to escape the fighting. They are hanging the bodies of some victims from utility poles or leaving near the frontlines as a warning to others.
At least 276 were killed and 12 were wounded:
A bomb in Saidiya killed three security personnel and wounded nine more; three militants were killed. Four militants were killed separately.
In Baghdad, a bomb near a market in Suwaib killed one person and wounded three more.
After an increase in attacks in Salah ad-Din province, security forces conducted an operation and killed 200 militants.
Security forces killed 30 militants while recapturing Rayhanna.
In Tal Afar, strikes killed 19 militants.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Political Blocs Discuss Coalition Building; Seven Killed in Iraq – August 19th, 2018
- Militia Armory Burns and Explodes; 15 Killed in Iraq – August 18th, 2018
- Electric Infrastructure Targeted; Six Killed in Iraq – August 17th, 2018
- Six Executed in Iraq; Six Others Killed Across Country – August 16th, 2018
- Protests in Basra Ramp up Again; 30 Killed in Iraq – August 15th, 2018