Iraq forces on Wednesday took control of the Iron Bridge, which connects the Old City with eastern Mosul. It is the third of five bridges that span the Tigris River.
Meanwhile, tens of thousands of Mosul’s displaced are trying to reach safety from the fighting. Others, who were kidnapped by the Islamic State and brought to Mosul as human shields, are hoping to find their way home. The number of displaced now exceeds 97,000 people.
At least 82 were killed and 50 were wounded:
Militants executed nine civilians, including children, by burning them to death. The group had been trying to escape Hawija.
A civilian was shot dead in Hibhib.
Security forces killed 17 militants in Chaffak and Khaki villages, near Mosul.
Eight militants were killed in Anbar province.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Bombers Turn Attention to Baquba; 18 Killed in Iraq – July 23rd, 2017
- Body Dumping Continues in Baghdad; 34 Killed in Iraq – July 22nd, 2017
- Sunni and Shi’ite Forces Quarrel in Mosul; 13 Killed in Iraq – July 21st, 2017
- Civilians Still Trapped by Mosul Fighting; 56 Killed in Iraq – July 20th, 2017
- Civilians Returning to Mosul Find Booby-trapped Homes; 44 Killed in Iraq – July 19th, 2017