Iraq forces on Wednesday took control of the Iron Bridge, which connects the Old City with eastern Mosul. It is the third of five bridges that span the Tigris River.
Meanwhile, tens of thousands of Mosul’s displaced are trying to reach safety from the fighting. Others, who were kidnapped by the Islamic State and brought to Mosul as human shields, are hoping to find their way home. The number of displaced now exceeds 97,000 people.
At least 82 were killed and 50 were wounded:
Militants executed nine civilians, including children, by burning them to death. The group had been trying to escape Hawija.
A civilian was shot dead in Hibhib.
Security forces killed 17 militants in Chaffak and Khaki villages, near Mosul.
Eight militants were killed in Anbar province.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Teenagers Blown-up by Old Landmine; 46 Killed in Iraq – June 22nd, 2017
- Great Mosque Destroyed in Mosul; 91 Killed in Iraq – June 21st, 2017
- Chemical Weapons Report in Mosul; 84 Killed in Iraq – June 20th, 2017
- 92 Killed in Iraq, Including French and Kurdish Journalists – June 19th, 2017
- Troops Launch Operation in Final Mosul District; 151 Killed in Iraq – June 18th, 2017