On Friday, Islamic State militants released dozens of prisoners who were jailed for offences such as selling cigarettes or possessing mobile phones. This unusual activity may indicate the remaining militants are no longer capable of maintaining government functions.
A mass grave containing an estimated 500 bodies was found at Badush prison, where authorities already knew militants had executed hundreds.
More than 12,000 civilians fled western Mosul in the last day, bringing the number of displaced to over 89,000 people.
In Damascus, Syria, two bombings killed dozens of Iraqi pilgrims.
At least 111 were killed and 13 were wounded:
Three children and three women were wounded in a mortar attack on Adhaim.
Airstrikes on Metabijh killed 20 militants.
Fifteen militants were killed in a failed attack on Sharqat.
West of Ramadi, an attack left 11 militants dead.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Journalist, Turkish Soldiers Among 34 Killed in Iraq – November 16th, 2017
- ISIS Operations Ramp up in Anbar; 48 Killed in Iraq – November 15th, 2017
- ISIS Battles Near Kirkuk; 33 Killed in Iraq – November 14th, 2017
- Militias Destroy Kurd Homes; 12 Killed in Iraq – November 13th, 2017
- US Service Member Among 19 Killed in Iraq – November 12th, 2017