Updated at 11:09 p.m. EST, March 9, 2017
Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi has reportedly left the Mosul theater.
Badush prison, where hundreds if not thousands of inmates have been executed, was captured on Wednesday.
The retaken antiquities museum in Mosul is a scene of utter destruction. Crushed statues, burnt manuscripts, and other ancient artifacts lie ruined. Elsewhere, authorities discovered several ancient carvings in a captured tunnel used by the militants. The previously unknown artifacts may be part of a temple or palace that the militants have accidentally found.
The U.S. government is considering sending 1,000 troops to Kuwait as a reserve force to fight ISIS/Daesh.
Over 72,000 people have fled western Mosul now.
At least 178 were killed and 63 more were wounded:
In Kirkuk, a police officer was shot dead.
Security forces killed 30 militants at Badush prison.
Ten militants were killed in Rawah.
A suicide bomber was killed in Mandali.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 30 Found in Yazidi Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – March 21st, 2019
- Soldiers Ambushed near Baghdad; 12 Killed in Iraq – March 19th, 2019
- PKK in Fresh Clashes; Eight Killed in Iraq – March 17th, 2019
- Eight Killed in Iraq as Turks Battle PKK – March 16th, 2019
- Two militiamen Among 11 Killed in Iraq – March 14th, 2019