A silent demonstration was held in Baghdad to remember the protest held last week that turned violent and left several people dead. Thousands of people, many of them followers of Shi’ite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, gathered again in Tahrir Square near an entrance to the Green Zone. The original demonstration called for electoral reform.
At least 67 were killed and 14 more were wounded:
At least eight militiamen were killed in an attack on their battalion near Tikrit.
In Baghdad, a blast wounded two civilians.
Airstrikes on Sheikh Burhan left 20 militants dead.
Militants banned Friday prayers in Tal Afar after seven local leaders were killed in clashes.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- PKK in Fresh Clashes; Eight Killed in Iraq – March 17th, 2019
- Eight Killed in Iraq as Turks Battle PKK – March 16th, 2019
- Two militiamen Among 11 Killed in Iraq – March 14th, 2019
- ISIS Executes Another Truffle Hunter; Two People Killed in Iraq – March 13th, 2019
- Tribal Fighting Leaves Casualties; Five Killed in Iraq – March 12th, 2019