Although east Mosul has been liberated, Islamic State militants are firing mortars from the occupied western districts, forcing hundreds of residents to flee their homes in recently recaptured neighborhoods. There are reports of casualties.
Human Rights Watch issued a warning concerning the disappearances of men fleeing the fighting in Mosul. As in other recaptured cities, Shi’ite militias are being accused of detaining men at secret locations under the guise of determining whether or not the men belong to ISIS/Daesh.
At least 51 were killed and 34 more were wounded:
Five people were executed in Hawija for collaborating with security forces.
A bomb in Abu Ghraib killed an employee of the electricity ministry.
A barber was wounded in a blast outside his Mussayab shop.
Twelve militants were killed in Dibs.
Three militants were killed in Qaim during an argument over money.
A rocket attack on Tal Afar killed a militant leader who was in charge of Yazidi slaves.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Random Attacks Rattle North; 23 Killed in Iraq – October 21st, 2018
- Nine Militants Killed During Security Operations in Iraq – October 20th, 2018
- Anti-ISIS Imam Among 11 Killed in Iraq – October 19th, 2018
- Over 2,200 Bodies Exhumed in Mosul Region; Four Killed in Iraq – October 18th, 2018
- Iraq Executes Six Convicts; 14 Others Killed in Attacks – October 17th, 2018