Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi told reporters that the operation in Mosul is going well, and about two-thirds of Nineveh province has been captured. He warned that if it appears to be going slow in Mosul itself, it is because civilians have not fled as in other recaptured cities and forces must minimize the danger to them. Security forces on Monday continued to liberate villages in the province.
At least 44 were killed and 10 were wounded:
Militants executed 17 civilians near Hawija.
Mortar fire on Ganous killed eight soldiers.
In Mosul, fighting left four soldiers and 13 militants dead.
A suicide bomber was killed west of Ramadi.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018
- Peshmerga Killed in New Anti-ISIS Operation; 10 Killed in Iraq – July 16th, 2018
- Protests Enter Second Week; 14 Killed, 366 Wounded in Iraq – July 15th, 2018
- Two Killed, 33 Injured in Continuing Protests in Southern Iraq – July 14th, 2018
- Protests Spread Through Southern Provinces; 7 Killed, 57 Wounded in Iraq – July 13th, 2018