So far, the fighting in Mosul has been limited to the areas east of the Tigris River or on the outskirts of the city. On Monday, however, Iraqi forces to the south of Mosul shelled western districts for the first time. Meanwhile, heavy fighting took place in the Barid district.
At least 110 people were killed and 64 were wounded in recent violence:
An attempt to recapture Ganous, near Shirqat, left 10 security personnel and two suicide bombers dead. At least eight personnel were wounded. An airstrike killed five militants.
Militants executed 11 people in the Hawija and Riyadh areas. Many were trying to flee the militants.
Six bodies were found in Hammam al-Alil.
In Baghdad, a bomb at a fish market killed one person and wounded five more.
Security forces killed 20 militants in the Makhoul Mountains.
In Hawija, an airstrike killed eight militants and wounded 14 more.
At least three suicide bombers were killed near Tal Afar.
Two suicide bombers were killed near Haditha.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- ISIS Commander Blamed for Iran Attack among 18 Killed in Iraq – October 16th, 2018
- 51 Bodies in ISIS Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – October 15th, 2018
- Sadr Colleague Among Seven Killed; 30 Found in Iraq Mass Grave – October 14th, 2018
- Mass Grave Gives up 78 Victims; 11 Recently Killed in Iraq – October 13th, 2018
- 30 Bodies in Mass Grave near Mosul; Two Killed in Iraq – October 11th, 2018