An alliance of U.S.-backed Kurdish and Arab forces launched an operation on the Syrian city of Raqqa on Sunday. An assault there could hamper the militants’ efforts to hang on to Mosul, which experienced heavy fighting over the weekend.
Fighting also continues in Hammam al-Alil and Bashiqa.
At least 155 people were killed and 157 were wounded in recent violence:
Gunmen killed 16 people in Tulul al-Baj at the home of a tribal leader.
In Baghdad, a string of attacks left 10 dead and 21 wounded.
In Mosul, a journalist was wounded. Militants using blunt knives executed seven of their own for desertion. A Daesh leader in charge of the war commission and his companions were killed. A second militant leader was killed in clashes. Resistance forces killed three militants. Gunmen killed two bodyguards at the home of Mosul’s militant “governor.” Thirty militants were killed in fighting in a northern area.
Security forces killed 35 militants in Hammam al-Alil.
Twenty-one militants were killed at Haditha Lake.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018
- Peshmerga Killed in New Anti-ISIS Operation; 10 Killed in Iraq – July 16th, 2018
- Protests Enter Second Week; 14 Killed, 366 Wounded in Iraq – July 15th, 2018
- Two Killed, 33 Injured in Continuing Protests in Southern Iraq – July 14th, 2018