An alliance of U.S.-backed Kurdish and Arab forces launched an operation on the Syrian city of Raqqa on Sunday. An assault there could hamper the militants’ efforts to hang on to Mosul, which experienced heavy fighting over the weekend.
Fighting also continues in Hammam al-Alil and Bashiqa.
At least 155 people were killed and 157 were wounded in recent violence:
Gunmen killed 16 people in Tulul al-Baj at the home of a tribal leader.
In Baghdad, a string of attacks left 10 dead and 21 wounded.
In Mosul, a journalist was wounded. Militants using blunt knives executed seven of their own for desertion. A Daesh leader in charge of the war commission and his companions were killed. A second militant leader was killed in clashes. Resistance forces killed three militants. Gunmen killed two bodyguards at the home of Mosul’s militant “governor.” Thirty militants were killed in fighting in a northern area.
Security forces killed 35 militants in Hammam al-Alil.
Twenty-one militants were killed at Haditha Lake.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Mosul Courts Sentence Hundreds of Militants to Death; 13 Killed in Iraq – April 18th, 2018
- Four ISIS Women Sentenced to Death; 10 Killed in Iraq – April 17th, 2018
- Iraqi Government Executes Terror Convicts; 52 Killed in Iraq – April 16th, 2018
- Bomb Targets Election Candidate; Two Killed in Iraq – April 15th, 2018
- Kurdish Brothers Killed in Turkish Airstrike Among Four Killed in Iraq – April 14th, 2018