As world leaders gathered in New York City for the first day of the United Nations General Assembly, Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi met with U.S. President Barack Obama. Abadi also announced the launch of operations to recover the city of Shirqat, which is home to tens of thousands of people, and two other locations in Anbar province.
Peshmerga officials say their bomb disposal teams have defused over 13,000 booby traps and landmines as well as disposing of munitions and clearing homes. Also, 88 injured fighters are being sent abroad for medical care.
At least 50 people were killed:
In Mosul, militants closed all internet cafes and executed five workers.
Seventeen militants were killed in an airstrike on a car bomb factory in Dibs.
In Haditha, a strike left dozens of militants dead.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- More Yazidi Victims Found in Mass Graves; 97 Killed in Iraq – December 16th, 2017
- Suicide Bomber Attacks Militia; 15 Killed in Iraq – December 15th, 2017
- Dozens of Sunnis Executed on Terror Charges; 53 Killed in Iraq – December 14th, 2017
- ISIS Attacks Troops, Mass Grave Found; 68 Killed in Iraq – December 13th, 2017
- UN Probes Right Abuses in Restive Tuz Khormato; Seven Killed in Iraq – December 12th, 2017