As world leaders gathered in New York City for the first day of the United Nations General Assembly, Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi met with U.S. President Barack Obama. Abadi also announced the launch of operations to recover the city of Shirqat, which is home to tens of thousands of people, and two other locations in Anbar province.
Peshmerga officials say their bomb disposal teams have defused over 13,000 booby traps and landmines as well as disposing of munitions and clearing homes. Also, 88 injured fighters are being sent abroad for medical care.
At least 50 people were killed:
In Mosul, militants closed all internet cafes and executed five workers.
Seventeen militants were killed in an airstrike on a car bomb factory in Dibs.
In Haditha, a strike left dozens of militants dead.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Seven U.S. Airmen Among 131 Killed in Iraq – March 16th, 2018
- U.S. Military Helicopter Crash; 63 Killed in Iraq – March 15th, 2018
- Mass Grave Found Near Kirkuk; 29 Killed in Iraq – March 14th, 2018
- Militiaman Shoots P.M.’s Security Officer; 32 Killed in Iraq – March 13th, 2018
- Scattered ISIS Attacks near Kirkuk; 54 Killed in Iraq – March 12th, 2018