Although an operation to liberate Mosul could be months away, people from surrounding areas have already begun flowing into camps for the displaced. At Dibaga, overpopulation has led to minor protesting.
Large protests, however, took place outside oil installations in Zubayr. No casualties were reported, but dozens of arrests were made. The demonstrators want better access to jobs.
Several people were injured in Sulaymaniya when supporters of the Kurdistan Workers Party (P.K.K.) staged their own demonstrations demanding the release of P.K.K. leader Abdullah Öcalan, who is being held in a Turkish prison.
At least 92 people were killed and 18 more wounded:
Three suicide bombers attacked a security post in a village near Qayara, killing 10 security personnel and wounding seven others.
In Bakara, eight displaced people were set on fire and died.
A roadside bomb near Rashad killed one displaced man and wounded four members of his family.
An officer and a policeman were wounded in an I.E.D. blast in Muqdadiya.
Security personnel in Wadi al-Shioukh killed 33 militants.
At least 14 militants were killed during airstrikes on Qaim, including officials.
In Kasarat and Barwana, strike killed at least 10 militants.
Security forces killed five militants in Matbijeh.
A quarrel in Riyadh left three militants dead.
A clash between Daesh and unidentified gunmen in Hawija left two militants dead and five wounded.
In Baghdad, two suicide bombers were killed.
In Abbasi, a sticky bomb killed a militant leader.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Over 2,200 Bodies Exhumed in Mosul Region; Four Killed in Iraq – October 18th, 2018
- Iraq Executes Six Convicts; 14 Others Killed in Attacks – October 17th, 2018
- ISIS Commander Blamed for Iran Attack among 18 Killed in Iraq – October 16th, 2018
- 51 Bodies in ISIS Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – October 15th, 2018
- Sadr Colleague Among Seven Killed; 30 Found in Iraq Mass Grave – October 14th, 2018