Seven months after the liberation of Sinjar (Shingal in Kurdish), it remains a ghost town. Only 20 of the 8,500 or so Yazidi families have returned. Destroyed infrastructure is the biggest deterrent to reclaiming their homes. About 80 percent of the city was smashed during the occupation and liberation.
Russia says it will support Peshmerga troops during the expected battle to liberate Mosul.
Shi’ite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr called on his follower to stage another Prayer Day rally in Baghdad.
At least 117 people were killed, and 11 were wounded:
Four civilians were wounded during a blast in Tawakil.
A bomb in Bir Ahmed wounded three militiamen.
Near Qayara, 18 militants were killed.
A strike on Zankura killed 15 militants.
Security forces killed 14 militants in Mazraa.
Twelve militants were killed and four were wounded in a strike on Hammam al-Alil. A judge was among the dead.
In Hit, 10 militants were killed.
In Aloulih, a strike killed five militants.
Two militants were killed in Broth.
Many militants were killed between Haditha and Baiji.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- UN Probes Right Abuses in Restive Tuz Khormato; Seven Killed in Iraq – December 12th, 2017
- Turkish Jets Strike PKK Camps; 38 Killed Across Iraq – December 11th, 2017
- Victory Parade in Green Zone; Seven Injured Across Iraq – December 10th, 2017
- Scattered Attacks Leave 51 Killed Across Iraq – December 9th, 2017
- Christians Again Displaced; 13 Killed in Iraq – December 8th, 2017