Seven months after the liberation of Sinjar (Shingal in Kurdish), it remains a ghost town. Only 20 of the 8,500 or so Yazidi families have returned. Destroyed infrastructure is the biggest deterrent to reclaiming their homes. About 80 percent of the city was smashed during the occupation and liberation.
Russia says it will support Peshmerga troops during the expected battle to liberate Mosul.
Shi’ite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr called on his follower to stage another Prayer Day rally in Baghdad.
At least 117 people were killed, and 11 were wounded:
Four civilians were wounded during a blast in Tawakil.
A bomb in Bir Ahmed wounded three militiamen.
Near Qayara, 18 militants were killed.
A strike on Zankura killed 15 militants.
Security forces killed 14 militants in Mazraa.
Twelve militants were killed and four were wounded in a strike on Hammam al-Alil. A judge was among the dead.
In Hit, 10 militants were killed.
In Aloulih, a strike killed five militants.
Two militants were killed in Broth.
Many militants were killed between Haditha and Baiji.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Iraq Executes Six Convicts; 14 Others Killed in Attacks – October 17th, 2018
- ISIS Commander Blamed for Iran Attack among 18 Killed in Iraq – October 16th, 2018
- 51 Bodies in ISIS Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – October 15th, 2018
- Sadr Colleague Among Seven Killed; 30 Found in Iraq Mass Grave – October 14th, 2018
- Mass Grave Gives up 78 Victims; 11 Recently Killed in Iraq – October 13th, 2018