Seven months after the liberation of Sinjar (Shingal in Kurdish), it remains a ghost town. Only 20 of the 8,500 or so Yazidi families have returned. Destroyed infrastructure is the biggest deterrent to reclaiming their homes. About 80 percent of the city was smashed during the occupation and liberation.
Russia says it will support Peshmerga troops during the expected battle to liberate Mosul.
Shi’ite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr called on his follower to stage another Prayer Day rally in Baghdad.
At least 117 people were killed, and 11 were wounded:
Four civilians were wounded during a blast in Tawakil.
A bomb in Bir Ahmed wounded three militiamen.
Near Qayara, 18 militants were killed.
A strike on Zankura killed 15 militants.
Security forces killed 14 militants in Mazraa.
Twelve militants were killed and four were wounded in a strike on Hammam al-Alil. A judge was among the dead.
In Hit, 10 militants were killed.
In Aloulih, a strike killed five militants.
Two militants were killed in Broth.
Many militants were killed between Haditha and Baiji.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Bodies Pollute River in Mosul; 12 Killed in Iraq – March 18th, 2018
- Seven U.S. Airmen Among 131 Killed in Iraq – March 16th, 2018
- U.S. Military Helicopter Crash; 63 Killed in Iraq – March 15th, 2018
- Mass Grave Found Near Kirkuk; 29 Killed in Iraq – March 14th, 2018
- Militiaman Shoots P.M.’s Security Officer; 32 Killed in Iraq – March 13th, 2018