Shi’ite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr held a large rally in Baghdad today. He called on Iraq’s prime minister, Haider al-Abadi, to act on his promises to tackle corruption and fix Iraq’s government. Some reports put the number of spectators at over 100,000.
At least 64 were killed, and 41 were either injured or sickened :
Dozens of Peshmerga fighters and civilians were sickened after a rocket attack on Sinjar this week. Kurdish officials are investigating the incident as a chemical weapons attack. At least 29 civilians were sickened or injured, including women and children. Three militants were killed in separate strikes.
Security forces killed 20 militants during operations in Albu Shejil, Garma, and Nazim al-Thar Thar.
Eleven militants were killed during operations in Hamediya.
Security forces killed three militants in Jabriya.
Three militants were killed in Falluja.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Police Brigadier General Among 22 Killed in Iraq – May 26th, 2018
- Third Bombing Against Sadr Bloc Offices; 40 Killed, 19 Bodies Found in Iraq – May 25th, 2018
- Scattered Attacks Continue in Kirkuk, Diyala; 27 Killed in Iraq – May 24th, 2018
- Suicide Bomber Strikes Baghdad; 16 Killed in Iraq – May 23rd, 2018
- 1,000 Bodies Recovered in Mosul; Two Turks Among 15 Killed in Iraq – May 22nd, 2018