At least 231 people were killed and 13 more were wounded, as U.S. forces have begun to train their first group of fresh Iraqi recruits.
Just as Kurdish forces are redrawing the political map in the north, adding new territories to what they believe will be an expanded Kurdistan, Shi’ite militiamen have been doing the same in central Iraq, deliberately pushing Sunni residents from the homes and towns. In some cases, however, they also appear to be holding women and children imprisoned without trial; the fate of their husbands and fathers is unclear.
Military reinforcements have finally arrived at the Ain al-Asad base came, where American advisors are stationed.
Nine mass graves containing Yazidi victims of the Islamic State militants have been found.
In Baghdad, a bomb killed one person and wounded five more in the Rashidiya neighborhood. Two people were wounded in a blast in Suleikh. Another bomb in Suleikh wounded an army lieutenant. Security forces killed a militant. A body was found. Another body was discovered.
A bomb in Tuz killed two civilians.
Ten fighters were killed during the last stages of the fight for Duluiya.
Shelling in Samarra wounded five pilgrims.
A clash in Yathrib left 13 fighters and six militants dead.
Security forces killed 100 militants in Falluja.
In Mosul, militants killed 86 foreign militants who were attempting to return home.
Security forces killed 10 militants near Habaniya.
Airstrikes left dozens of militants dead in Khalidiya.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Iraqi Forces Kill 40 Militants in and Near Syria; 20 Found in Mass Grave in Mosul – April 22nd, 2018
- 60 Militants Found in Mosul Grave; 20 Killed in Iraq – April 21st, 2018
- New Zealand Sends Fresh Troops; Five Killed in Iraq – April 20th, 2018
- Baghdad Drops Bombs on ISIS in Syria; Five Killed in Iraq – April 19th, 2018
- Mosul Courts Sentence Hundreds of Militants to Death; 13 Killed in Iraq – April 18th, 2018