The number of Arbaeen pilgrims in Karbala this year has reached a record-breaking 17.5 million. Despite the huge numbers, very few attacks have been reported. Still, 182 people were killed in recent attacks and fighting. Another seven were wounded.
Shi’ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr alerted his followers in the Peace Brigades to be ready to mobilize within 48 hours. In the statement, Sadr said that Samarra was again under imminent threat from ISIS/DAASH militants. The Peace Brigades had fought in Samarra over the summer. An Iraqi colonel believes that either a direct attack is being planned or the militants are trying to redirect Iraqi forces from Tikrit.
Further north, the Ninevah police forces are ready to fight but lack the firepower.
Iraq’s only Yazidi lawmaker, Vian Dakhil, is in Washington D.C. asking for U.S. help in resolving their plight..
In Mkeshiefa, 38 people were killed when a bomb exploded at a checkpoint.
On a road between Samarra and Baghdad, four people were shot to death, including a woman.
A body was found in Kirkuk.
Security forces in Garma killed 30 militants.
At least 13 militants were killed in Mutassim.
In Mosul, airstrikes left 16 militants dead.
Fifteen militants were killed in Tikrit.
Thirteen militants were killed in al-Sger.
Three militants were killed in Tarmiya.
At a checkpoint in Falluja, three militants were killed.
Dozens of militants were killed in airstrikes in Hawija, Mullah Abdullah, Rashad and Riyadh.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- More Yazidi Victims Found in Mass Graves; 97 Killed in Iraq – December 16th, 2017
- Suicide Bomber Attacks Militia; 15 Killed in Iraq – December 15th, 2017
- Dozens of Sunnis Executed on Terror Charges; 53 Killed in Iraq – December 14th, 2017
- ISIS Attacks Troops, Mass Grave Found; 68 Killed in Iraq – December 13th, 2017
- UN Probes Right Abuses in Restive Tuz Khormato; Seven Killed in Iraq – December 12th, 2017