At least 57 people were killed today, and another 19 were wounded. Most of the fatalities were militants. Also, militants were able to shut down the Falluja Dam a day after authorities said it was completely reopened.
In Falluja, twenty militants were killed in a clash. Two soldiers were killed and five more were wounded when militants attacked a checkpoint. Shelling left two people dead and seven wounded, including women and children. Four gunmen were killed and several more were wounded.
Militants were able to shut down the Falluja dam again, just a day after authorities said it had been reopened. Closing the gates not only keeps water from reaching Shi’ite areas further downriver on the Euphrates, but it also floods fields and building in the dam area.
One policeman was killed and three others were wounded in a blast in Hit.
A bomb near Abu Ghraib killed a Sahwa member and wounded another.
An I.E.D. in Jurf al-Sakhar killed an army commander and four soldiers.
A traffic policeman was gunned down in Mosul.
Gunmen wounded two civilians in Saidiya.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Suicide Bomber Attacks Militia; 15 Killed in Iraq – December 15th, 2017
- Dozens of Sunnis Executed on Terror Charges; 53 Killed in Iraq – December 14th, 2017
- ISIS Attacks Troops, Mass Grave Found; 68 Killed in Iraq – December 13th, 2017
- UN Probes Right Abuses in Restive Tuz Khormato; Seven Killed in Iraq – December 12th, 2017
- Turkish Jets Strike PKK Camps; 38 Killed Across Iraq – December 11th, 2017