Iraq: Kurdish Forces Bear Brunt of Attacks That Leave 46 Dead, 92 Wounded
Today’s Iraq violence focused on Kurdish Peshmerga fighters. These security forces are used in predominantly Kurdish regions in northern Iraq. In contested areas their presence, at times, has caused tension between themselves and other security forces.
In Kirkuk, a suicide bombing at a Patriotic Union of Kurdistan office left one dead and 40 wounded, mostly Peshmerga. A separate suicide car bomber attacked a Kurdish security checkpoint, where he killed one Peshmerga member and wounded 13 more.
Gunmen killed three policemen and wounded two others in a drive-by shooting at a Falluja checkpoint; also, one gunman was killed and another was wounded.
One Peshmerga was killed and another wounded in a suicide attack on their checkpoint in Tuz Khormato.
Two Peshmerga were killed and seven more were wounded in an attack on a base in Duquq.
In Abu Ghraib, two people were killed and three more were wounded when a bomb
A bomb attached to a minibus killed three people in Taji.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 4,800 Killed in Iraq During August – September 1st, 2014
- 95 Killed across Iraq As Security Forces Reach Turkmen Town – August 31st, 2014
- Fight for Turkmen Town Unfolding As 200 Are Killed across Iraq – August 30th, 2014
- 220 Killed, 130 Wounded Across Iraq – August 29th, 2014
- ISIS Releases Beheading Video As 161 Are Killed Across Iraq – August 28th, 2014