Iraq: Kurdish Forces Bear Brunt of Attacks That Leave 46 Dead, 92 Wounded
Today’s Iraq violence focused on Kurdish Peshmerga fighters. These security forces are used in predominantly Kurdish regions in northern Iraq. In contested areas their presence, at times, has caused tension between themselves and other security forces.
In Kirkuk, a suicide bombing at a Patriotic Union of Kurdistan office left one dead and 40 wounded, mostly Peshmerga. A separate suicide car bomber attacked a Kurdish security checkpoint, where he killed one Peshmerga member and wounded 13 more.
Gunmen killed three policemen and wounded two others in a drive-by shooting at a Falluja checkpoint; also, one gunman was killed and another was wounded.
One Peshmerga was killed and another wounded in a suicide attack on their checkpoint in Tuz Khormato.
Two Peshmerga were killed and seven more were wounded in an attack on a base in Duquq.
In Abu Ghraib, two people were killed and three more were wounded when a bomb
A bomb attached to a minibus killed three people in Taji.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- ISIS Execute Their Own for Desertion; 57 Killed in Iraq – August 28th, 2016
- Executions in Hawija; 175 Killed in Iraq – August 27th, 2016
- Suicide bombers Attack Refugee Camp; 96 Killed in Iraq – August 26th, 2016
- Fleeing Civilians Shot; 116 Killed in Iraq – August 25th, 2016
- Qayara Reported Liberated; 111 Killed in Iraq – August 24th, 2016