The war in Syria continues to be a threat to Iraq’s western flank. Violence today included attacks from both the Syrian Air Force and Syrian rebels. Overall, at least 13 Iraqis were killed and eight more were wounded.
A source at a Sinjar hospital reported the delivery of six bodies belonging to Iraqi soldiers killed by the rebel group the Syrian Free Army at a border crossing near Rabia. On Monday, fighting near this border crossing drove a number of Syrian soldiers into Iraq for medical care or safety. The group was ambushed and slaughtered while on Iraqi soil.
One civilian was wounded when Syrian jets crossed the border and bombed an area near the Yaarabia crossing. Hundreds of families had to flee as the jets chased opposition fighters.
A roadside bomb killed a policeman and wounded two others in Baghdad.
An al-Qaeda leader was killed and two security personnel were wounded in Khalis, during a clash that erupted while security forces were trying to arrest the man.
A sticky bomb killed a security employee in northern Anbar province.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Kurdish Town Strikes Against Deteriorating Security; 24 Killed in Iraq – June 22nd, 2018
- Mass ISIS Grave Yields 167 Bodies; 19 Killed Recently in Iraq – June 20th, 2018
- ISIS Kidnappings Increase Significantly; 37 Killed in Iraq – June 19th, 2018
- Shepherds Kidnapped and Executed; 16 Killed in Iraq – June 18th, 2018
- Anti-ISIS Operation Launched in Anbar; 45 Killed in Iraq – June 17th, 2018