Unknown assailants attacked a group of Syrian soldiers who had crossed over into Iraq to escape heavy fighting back in Syria. At least 48 Syrians soldiers were killed as well as nine Iraqi soldiers who were accompanying them. Seven Iraqis and 14 Syrians were wounded in the attack. The attack took place near Akashat as the soldiers were being driven to a different border crossing than the one they used to enter Iraq.
Two border guards were killed during a later attack at the Waleed border crossing.
In Mosul, five policemen were killed and 11 others were wounded when a bomb near a police station exploded. Gunmen killed two policemen. A bomb killed a soldier and wounded three more. Five people were wounded in another blast. A child was killed in crossfire.
A bomb killed one person and wounded three others in Baiji.
The body of a policeman, who was shot in the head, was discovered in Qayara.
In Hilla, a woman’s body was found.
A businessman’s son was kidnapped in Kirkuk.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Peshmerga Forces Beaten at Checkpoint; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 21st, 2018
- Amnesty Accuses Baghdad of Attacking Protesters; 4 Killed, 46 Wounded in Iraq – July 20th, 2018
- Mass Grave Yields 48 ISIS fighters; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 19th, 2018
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018