48 Syrians, 9 Iraqis Killed near Border; 14 Iraqis Killed Elsewhere
Monday: 48 Syrians, 23 Iraqis Killed; 14 Syrians, 22 Iraqis Wounded
Unknown assailants attacked a group of Syrian soldiers who had crossed over into Iraq to escape heavy fighting back in Syria. At least 48 Syrians soldiers were killed as well as nine Iraqi soldiers who were accompanying them. Seven Iraqis and 14 Syrians were wounded in the attack. The attack took place near Akashat as the soldiers were being driven to a different border crossing than the one they used to enter Iraq.
Two border guards were killed during a later attack at the Waleed border crossing.
In Mosul, five policemen were killed and 11 others were wounded when a bomb near a police station exploded. Gunmen killed two policemen. A bomb killed a soldier and wounded three more. Five people were wounded in another blast. A child was killed in crossfire.
A bomb killed one person and wounded three others in Baiji.
The body of a policeman, who was shot in the head, was discovered in Qayara.
In Hilla, a woman’s body was found.
A businessman’s son was kidnapped in Kirkuk.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Twenty Killed in Attacks Focused on Iraqi Security Forces – May 23rd, 2013
- 31 Killed in Iraq, Including 12 Slaughtered in a Baghdad Brothel – May 22nd, 2013
- Sixty Killed, 132 Wounded in Ongoing Iraq Carnage – May 21st, 2013
- Monday Mayhem: 133 Killed, 283 Wounded in Iraq – May 20th, 2013
- Iraqi Police Targeted As Attacks Claim 44 Lives – May 19th, 2013