Iraqis Targeted on Market Day: 38 Killed, 106 Wounded
Several blasts targeted Iraqi civilians in Baghdad and cities to the south. Overall, at least 38 people were killed and 106 more were wounded in the violence. Iraqis enjoy visiting markets after Friday prayers, a habit which insurgents have frequently exploited. Also, anti-government rallies continued in Sunni-populated regions, including the major cities of Samarra, Mosul, Tikrit, Falluja and Ramadi.
In Baghdad, a double car-bombing at Kadhimiya‘s bird market killed 17 people and wounded 45 more; the first bomb exploded at an entrance to the market, while the second targeting the fleeing customers.
Five people were killed and 16 more were wounded in a bombing just outside the holy city of Karbala.
A sniper wounded a soldier at the Mazra’a base near Falluja.
Turkey conducted a bombing run on possible Kurdish rebel bases in northern Iraq.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Saddam’s Body Moved Over ISIS Fears; 149 Killed, 104 Across Iraq – July 30th, 2014
- Hundreds Butchered by ISIS, Over A Hundred More Killed By Iraq Gov’t – July 29th, 2014
- 274 Killed Across Iraq As Mosul Residents Defy ISIS – July 28th, 2014
- Bloody Sunday in Iraq: 374 Killed, 78 Wounded – July 27th, 2014
- Sunni Politican Mysteriously Detained; 312 Killed Across Iraq – July 26th, 2014