Iraqis Targeted on Market Day: 38 Killed, 106 Wounded
Several blasts targeted Iraqi civilians in Baghdad and cities to the south. Overall, at least 38 people were killed and 106 more were wounded in the violence. Iraqis enjoy visiting markets after Friday prayers, a habit which insurgents have frequently exploited. Also, anti-government rallies continued in Sunni-populated regions, including the major cities of Samarra, Mosul, Tikrit, Falluja and Ramadi.
In Baghdad, a double car-bombing at Kadhimiya‘s bird market killed 17 people and wounded 45 more; the first bomb exploded at an entrance to the market, while the second targeting the fleeing customers.
Five people were killed and 16 more were wounded in a bombing just outside the holy city of Karbala.
A sniper wounded a soldier at the Mazra’a base near Falluja.
Turkey conducted a bombing run on possible Kurdish rebel bases in northern Iraq.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 78 Killed in Iraq; Bombs Rattle Baghdad, Shirqat – July 23rd, 2016
- Sadr Militia to Fight in Mosul; 29 Killed in Iraq – July 22nd, 2016
- More Exposure Deaths near Shirqat; 37 Killed in Iraq – July 21st, 2016
- Death by Exposure for Children Fleeing ISIS; 29 Killed in Iraq – July 20th, 2016
- Dozens of Civilians Executed; 69 Killed Across Iraq – July 19th, 2016