Iraqis Targeted on Market Day: 38 Killed, 106 Wounded
Several blasts targeted Iraqi civilians in Baghdad and cities to the south. Overall, at least 38 people were killed and 106 more were wounded in the violence. Iraqis enjoy visiting markets after Friday prayers, a habit which insurgents have frequently exploited. Also, anti-government rallies continued in Sunni-populated regions, including the major cities of Samarra, Mosul, Tikrit, Falluja and Ramadi.
In Baghdad, a double car-bombing at Kadhimiya‘s bird market killed 17 people and wounded 45 more; the first bomb exploded at an entrance to the market, while the second targeting the fleeing customers.
Five people were killed and 16 more were wounded in a bombing just outside the holy city of Karbala.
A sniper wounded a soldier at the Mazra’a base near Falluja.
Turkey conducted a bombing run on possible Kurdish rebel bases in northern Iraq.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Militants Execute Civilians in Mosul; 101 Killed Across Iraq – January 19th, 2017
- Operations Wrapping up in Eastern Mosul; 131 Killed in Iraq – January 18th, 2017
- Bodies Litter Tigris River in Mosul; 39 Killed in Iraq – January 17th, 2017
- Jonah’s Tomb Captured in Mosul; 50 Killed in Iraq – January 16th, 2017
- ISIS Attacks Checkpoints in Diyala Province; 184 Killed in Iraq – January 15th, 2017