Iraq: 14 Killed in Random Violence; 46 Kurdish Rebels Killed in Turkish Operation
On the eve of Arba’een observances, at least 14 Iraqis were killed and 26 were wounded. Also, 46 P.K.K. rebels were killed during a Turkish operation inside Iraq.
In Mosul, gunmen assassinated a nephew of parliament speaker Osama al-Nujaifi. Two policemen were shot dead. Bombs killed a policeman and wounded three civilians in separate incidents. A produce dealer was shot to death.
Two pilgrims were killed and eight more were wounded in a roadside bombing as they walked to Karbala through Mahaweel.
Gunmen killed a policeman and his brother, a Sahwa member.
Three policemen were shot dead in Tarmiya.
In Baghdad, the body of a man kidnapped in Bani Saad was found with bullet wounds.
A bomb wounded four people at a tea stall in Tikrit.
Four army recruits were wounded in Iskandariya when a bomb exploded.
Police in Mussayab successfully repelled an attack against pilgrims.
A Kurdish source reported the deaths of 46 Kurdish rebels during an attack by Turkish forces in northern Iraq. The rebels belong to the Kurdistan Workers Party (P.K.K.) whose imprisoned leader, Abdullah Öcalan, is currently in peace talks with Turkey.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Executions Continue; 59 Killed in Iraq – July 29th, 2016
- Child Among Execution Victims; 68 Killed in Iraq – July 28th, 2016
- Mass Grave Found in Fallujah; 125 Killed in Iraq – July 27th, 2016
- 74 Killed in Iraq, Including Family Fleeing ISIS – July 26th, 2016
- Bomber Strike East of Baghdad; 138 Killed in Iraq – July 25th, 2016