Iraq: 14 Killed in Random Violence; 46 Kurdish Rebels Killed in Turkish Operation
On the eve of Arba’een observances, at least 14 Iraqis were killed and 26 were wounded. Also, 46 P.K.K. rebels were killed during a Turkish operation inside Iraq.
In Mosul, gunmen assassinated a nephew of parliament speaker Osama al-Nujaifi. Two policemen were shot dead. Bombs killed a policeman and wounded three civilians in separate incidents. A produce dealer was shot to death.
Two pilgrims were killed and eight more were wounded in a roadside bombing as they walked to Karbala through Mahaweel.
Gunmen killed a policeman and his brother, a Sahwa member.
Three policemen were shot dead in Tarmiya.
In Baghdad, the body of a man kidnapped in Bani Saad was found with bullet wounds.
A bomb wounded four people at a tea stall in Tikrit.
Four army recruits were wounded in Iskandariya when a bomb exploded.
Police in Mussayab successfully repelled an attack against pilgrims.
A Kurdish source reported the deaths of 46 Kurdish rebels during an attack by Turkish forces in northern Iraq. The rebels belong to the Kurdistan Workers Party (P.K.K.) whose imprisoned leader, Abdullah Öcalan, is currently in peace talks with Turkey.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Hundreds of Militants Reported Killed Across Iraq – January 28th, 2015
- Ten Doctors Among 109 Killed Across Iraq – January 27th, 2015
- 215 Killed in Iraq, Including Civilians Executed by Shi’ite Militiamen – January 26th, 2015
- Military Operations, Attacks Across Iraq Leave 692 Killed – January 25th, 2015
- Bombers Return to Baghdad; 134 Killed across Iraq – January 24th, 2015