Iraq: 14 Killed in Random Violence; 46 Kurdish Rebels Killed in Turkish Operation
On the eve of Arba’een observances, at least 14 Iraqis were killed and 26 were wounded. Also, 46 P.K.K. rebels were killed during a Turkish operation inside Iraq.
In Mosul, gunmen assassinated a nephew of parliament speaker Osama al-Nujaifi. Two policemen were shot dead. Bombs killed a policeman and wounded three civilians in separate incidents. A produce dealer was shot to death.
Two pilgrims were killed and eight more were wounded in a roadside bombing as they walked to Karbala through Mahaweel.
Gunmen killed a policeman and his brother, a Sahwa member.
Three policemen were shot dead in Tarmiya.
In Baghdad, the body of a man kidnapped in Bani Saad was found with bullet wounds.
A bomb wounded four people at a tea stall in Tikrit.
Four army recruits were wounded in Iskandariya when a bomb exploded.
Police in Mussayab successfully repelled an attack against pilgrims.
A Kurdish source reported the deaths of 46 Kurdish rebels during an attack by Turkish forces in northern Iraq. The rebels belong to the Kurdistan Workers Party (P.K.K.) whose imprisoned leader, Abdullah Öcalan, is currently in peace talks with Turkey.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Bodies Litter Tigris River in Mosul; 39 Killed in Iraq – January 17th, 2017
- Jonah’s Tomb Captured in Mosul; 50 Killed in Iraq – January 16th, 2017
- ISIS Attacks Checkpoints in Diyala Province; 184 Killed in Iraq – January 15th, 2017
- ISIS Burns Family to Death, Including Infant; 57 Killed in Iraq – January 14th, 2017
- Symbolic Buildings, Bridge Captured in Mosul; 118 Killed in Iraq – January 13th, 2017